what to do......engine dyno or wheel dyno?

cummins732

I just build a new engine for 2.6 and my question is the advantages of.dynoing.the engine.itself over dynoing it while its in the truck? Im going to dyno it regardless one.way or the other just looking for some feedback from you smarter ones. Another reason I'm even posting this is because I can't get into the engine dyno till first of February and I'm going to be pressed for time but I might just have to wait. Thanks

Are you building the engine for a chassis you already have or do you plan to build the chassis to match the engine?

Monkey Fist Rage

Engine dyno if its a true 2.6 your waisting your time on a chassis dyno

Engine dyno if its a true 2.6 your waisting your time on a chassis dyno

agreed for a p-pumped motor, you will have a heck of a time getting a good load on the truck with a wheel dyno and single 2.6 charger.

For a CR I would still engine dyno the motor, but if I could not find a local engine dyno a wheel dyno would by my choice

Its a 12v and I already have the chassis built. Thanks for the input. I was leaning.on the engine dyno but wasn't sure how well you could really tune the engine on a chassis dyno.

I'd get the guy from Confederate diesel to butt dyno that for you .

Engine dyno is the best way .

And it needs to be done by some one who has done Cummins and had good results. Not some Joe blow gas guy. Least amount of runs on it the better. If it comes off the dyno alive it will be good to go. If it doesn't you found the weal link!

:umno: It depends on the dyno. Find a Superflow. I think that TS has one.

Still waisting your time with a chassis dyno with a puller and big singles. To many variables at play trying to get them to light on fuel. Engine dyno is a controlled environment that has a consistent computer controlled run every time. If some one is serious about finding every last HP then the engine dyno is what needs to be used

If the transmission will stay locked you can get consistent repeatable runs on our dyno. We program the start MPH and the end MPH and how long to get from the start to the end. The MPH is decided according to RPM. We can even do a backwards run from a higher number to lower and snuff out the turbo if desired. The dyno is using load to achieve the targeted MPH. The more power the engine is making the more resistance is needed.

Let me know when you have a national contender 2.6/3.0 truck strapped to your chassis dyno. Your not going to get a 1200 HP 2.6 truck to run on a chassis dyno and make power to be able to tune.

Last edited:
I had a hard time getting my 71mm ppump'd 24v to load all the way on the street it runs 64psi but on the rollers I could only get up to 48-52psi max with water/meth, the highest dyno pull yet was only 584.9hp and 1112ftlb's which it would be a heck of a lot higher if it would load all the way.

I saw a 2.6 truck (maybe a wannabe) at G&R diesel in Fredricksburg try to run a chassis dyno, didn't work out so well. With it strapped down as tight as possible and a forklift pushing down on the bed for extra force it still smoked the tires every run they tried.

1200hp is low in the realm of chassis dyno's, hell my Superflow can sink 2500hp with the dual brakes along with the exact same sensor box and instrumentation as the engine dyno's.

Its the final gear ratio of pullers that make chassis dyno's a real poor choice. Beside's how could a guy be a baller with hp figure with all the drive train loss....LOL

If your running 5.xx+ in the rear diff, better get on a engine dyno.

Last edited:
Pro street drag racers haves hard time dynoing there set ups on a chassis dyno, look at Phil Taylor best his has done on a chassis dyno was mid to high 9xxs and I know that engine has to be making 1500 at the crank

Tony Burkhard's old Dirty Hooker 2.0 was a 300hp difference from engine dyno to my chassis dyno everything was the same. Engine dyno is unfortunately the only way to go with pulling setups to get accurate info.

Pro street drag racers haves hard time dynoing there set ups on a chassis dyno, look at Phil Taylor best his has done on a chassis dyno was mid to high 9xxs and I know that engine has to be making 1500 at the crank

If a drag racer can't get the power on the chassis dyno, he can't get it on the track either. Maybe at the finish line but it's too late then.

If a drag racer can't get the power on the chassis dyno, he can't get it on the track either. Maybe at the finish line but it's too late then.

This maybe true for a 2wd race car or truck but not a 4x4 truck ... unless the chassis dyno can run you in 4x4

The whole purpose of any dyno is to run a sweep through a certain RPM window. See what your results are and then adjust from there. Hopefully you make positive results and then take it to the track or strip or street or whatever and try to get your vehicle to run in the appropriate RPM range. Comparing what you do on one dyno to another dyno is not going to be accurate. The idea is to have repeatable results. An engine dyno takes out many variables from the chassis. A good chassis dyno will do the job also.

Back