What to look for when buying a 12V head??

rightwinger

I am starting to piece together parts for a 12V build, and since my last build was a 24V p pumped build, I am not familiar with what I need to be looking for on a 12V head. I am seeing some on Ebay for 250-700 dollars, they all seem to show the casting marks on the head as if this denotes some castings are good and others are bad. Also, they mention if the head will take the 7mm injector tips. I plan to buy the head bare because it will have upgraded springs, valves, O rings installed....etc. Is there anything I should avoid like the plague or anything that is particularly desireable in these 12V heads? Thanks in advance.

be careful with anything ebay. good chance its a crap chinese casting. you want a head set up for 7mm injectors.

Look for cracks around injector hole and exhaust seats.

They are all cracked right there. From what ive read and been told I would still run it if its cracked there so long as it isnt excessive.

The last couple I've found from bone stock daily drivers that haven't been worked hard had no visable cracks, but seen more than a few that were cracked all to hell run with no issues.

They are all cracked right there. From what ive read and been told I would still run it if its cracked there so long as it isnt excessive.

I don't worry about the cracks...both my local machine shops like selling $800 chinese heads, so they won't fix one that's cracked, so I just run them. No problems at all.

Chris

I don't worry about the cracks...both my local machine shops like selling $800 chinese heads, so they won't fix one that's cracked, so I just run them. No problems at all.

Chris

Do the Chinese heads hold up? Never messed with one

Aren't Cummins cast is China? I'm sure you guys are talking about the aftermarket ones, I haven't heard of issues from them, but I would always stick with genuine Cummins parts.

Mines a 24V, but it had ~10 cracks, more on the intake than exhaust. It didn't leak water before so I didn't sweat it and have put ~5,000 miles on it since. I always baby it until operating temp, but I drive it hard with no issues.

I've ported a couple of the eBay heads. The castings are crap, but the iron seems OK. As long as you buy one with the intent of milling it, cutting the seats and changing the springs, it's probably a good deal. Last one I bought was only $260 w/valves, and it's been on for a little over a year with no issues.

I've ported a couple of the eBay heads. The castings are crap, but the iron seems OK. As long as you buy one with the intent of milling it, cutting the seats and changing the springs, it's probably a good deal. Last one I bought was only $260 w/valves, and it's been on for a little over a year with no issues.

Thats awesome info... I wont need something with a milled head any time soon but ill keep this in mind.

I've used a china head on a 4bt and a 6bt. Both were actually pretty freakin nice to be honest. I am not sure why "china" is a naughty word anymore seeing as how nearly everything that can be casted is made over there already.... Just because the OEMs mark it up doesn't make it any better... I am all for American made but most of the time it simply doesn't exist.

I've used a china head on a 4bt and a 6bt. Both were actually pretty freakin nice to be honest. I am not sure why "china" is a naughty word anymore seeing as how nearly everything that can be casted is made over there already.... Just because the OEMs mark it up doesn't make it any better... I am all for American made but most of the time it simply doesn't exist.

I was referring more to people going cheap in material and not creating a head that works well. Nothing to do with location.

I was referring more to people going cheap in material and not creating a head that works well. Nothing to do with location.

Couldn't agree more. Just difficult to pound it into peoples heads that there are far too many products in this world for them all to be made in "murica".

Couldn't agree more. Just difficult to pound it into peoples heads that there are far too many products in this world for them all to be made in "murica".

i've heard some bad things about the ebay china heads is the only reason i said anything. i have a 24v so what do i know. :hehe:

I'm hesitant to buy a cheap China head, and then have someone say they tried to port it and the castings were too thin in places and now I have a 250 dollar paper weight.....Not like they'll take it back after its been partially ported and messed up, and they'll just say the port work was done too deep and their castings were fine....

I'd have gone with a US made head if I could. But as far as I could tell, they're all made outside the US. Since I do all my own headwork, it was worth a few hundred bucks to me to find out how well one would work. One went well, so I did another for a buddy, that one worked fine too. Both looked a little rough on the outside, but had no porosity or signs of being soft iron like I've seen is some other cast Chinese products. It's no guarantee, but I doubt you'd have problems with street level porting. But, I'd recommend you use a sonic tester anytime you start grinding on any head.

The sonic tester is a great idea, never even thought about doing one myself, but I'm sure there is plenty of threads on here about porting that I can learn from. Just curious what is the thinnest you can go and still be relatively safe on the casting thickness?

Back