What tranny???

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
I love my 5 speed, and hate Auto's. BUT, a manual takes longer to shift then an auto. SO, my question is this, ive got a 93 1st gen dually that I am wanting to drag, but still keep it streetable. What tranny should I run? I know an Auto needs to be hopped up pretty good to take the stress of HP and hard launches. I know a chevy trans pretty good, but, chrysler is another story. What specifically needs to be done, n where can I get it? Thanks!!

Cowboy_Customs said:
I love my 5 speed, and hate Auto's. BUT, a manual takes longer to shift then an auto. SO, my question is this, ive got a 93 1st gen dually that I am wanting to drag, but still keep it streetable. What tranny should I run? I know an Auto needs to be hopped up pretty good to take the stress of HP and hard launches. I know a chevy trans pretty good, but, chrysler is another story. What specifically needs to be done, n where can I get it? Thanks!!

It's really dependant on how much power you plan to throw at it. I'm in Jersey and back in 98-99 I was introduced to the transmission wonders of Suncoast Converters, I bought my first drop out trans from Joe Webb and it was absolutely the BEST mod I threw at my Duallie, over the years I upgraded to the latest versions that the Suncoast team had developed, I have been 150% pleased everytime, now there's a full tilt -full billet -rockem sockem 5 disc Suncoast tranny in there, and its worth every penny I had invested into it.:bow: Give them a call, you will NOT BE DISSAPPOINTED:rockwoot:

There are others ATS, HTS, DTT ect ect I'm just giving you my opinion.

Oh and the majority of the FAST trucks have....... you guessed it= SUNCOAST:bow: :bow: :bow:

Suncoast is the way to go if you are race only or high power daily driver.
Suncoast :rockwoot: This is my $.02

In the fastest trucks

SUNCOAST :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :bow: :bow:

Barry at NADP did the transmission in Project X diesel, this transmission is absolutely bullet proof, and has had several hundred 1.60 60’ hits on it at the drag strip along with numerous others playing with it in a other then sane ,manor. I would recommend Berry and his customer service to anyone. Kirk Manuel’s dealership uses his system to up grade work trucks on a wide selection of trucks at Kirks many Dodge and Ford dealerships

This transmission holds bock 900 + hp and 1655 ft torque a feat I never thought would have lasted this long , I would recommend a who ever you go with the auto is the only way to go ,

Suncoast is in all the top DHRA Pro street trucks, and most of the NHRDA trucks also (I think)

Also consider what installers are within a reasonable driving distance from you, as your probably gonna need to make some trips back for normal upkeep, upgrades etc. You don't want to have to drive 8 - 9 hours for routine or science forbid (anybody see that South Park episode he he) any broken stuff that you might have to get repaired.

Keep customer service in mind also, not just from Suncoast or whatever brand you decide to go with, but with your specific installer as thats who you'll be dealing with 99.9% of the time.

Just my $.02

ob1kobi said:
Suncoast is in all the top DHRA Pro street trucks, and most of the NHRDA trucks also (I think)

It's not in mine! :D

Paul

Good thing I put the "I think" in there then huh? :doh:

I don't keep up with the NHRDA much, no disrecpect intended :)

ob1kobi said:
Good thing I put the "I think" in there then huh? :doh:

I don't keep up with the NHRDA much, no disrecpect intended :)

None taken. For all I know you may be correct, but I do know quite a few that are running DTT's. I believe that every diesel pickup that has won a NHRA Wally has been running a DTT. :D

Paul

I am not quite done with my 5sp to auto conversion project so I can't tell you how the tranny works. What I can say is that dealing with Dusty at HTS has been a pleasure. Super nice guy. I know some of the parts he uses come from Suncoast. The converter, flex-plate, and controller are Suncoast parts. I also found Dave Goerends to be an easy guy to deal with as well. I found ATS to be about as responsive as a dead horse. DTT's response while better than ATS's was nothing to write home about.

Well, I guess that bout sums it up huh? Thanks for all the responce, it is greatly appreciated! I'll have to make some calls n see what I can dig up.
I'm not looking to go too wild, just getting started in the drag racing thing, I still need the truck for trailer duty, but as time goes on and financing comes available.......... :evil that may change.

Comp461: I never immagined myself ever thinking about a manual to auto convert, but, I have to agree for strip duty, it is the only way to go.

Thanks again guys!

Back