what would be needed to swap from auto to 6speed

TRUBBS

Can You Keep Up?
Ok before you sick the dog's after me, i DID search, but it brought up a million and a half posts about autos and manuals and the two together, along with every make model.

so here is my question, i really want to find a 6speed megacab, BUT i found a guy that says "trades are welcome" while selling his auto, now nothing is set in stone or even close to it but before i even get to thinking, and for further knowlage incase i find one i really like with an auto.

what all needs to be changed out to go from auto to 6speed?
i have done auto to 5/6speed swaps in obs and early superduties before so im not to worried about it, just dont know how the newer trucks are setup

does the center counsel/dash piece need swaped out

other then the obvious,what else?
floor pan piece
adapterplate/clutch/flywheel ect

drivelines needing re-done

are the t-cases the same or is the input on the tcase diffrent?

It's been discussed on here by me before in this section...

But

Ofcourse you'll need a clutch, Trans, new input for t-case, Trans mount, cut rear drive shaft/lengthen front drive shaft approx. 2.5", hydraulics, depending on what center console you have- a shift stick and associated boots and the floor mounted center console/cup holder, both brake/clutch pedal from a standard (they just snap in with pins) and you will need to retune the ECM with a smarty or efi live. Also you will need to do away with your shift cable and Trans cooler, heat exchanger, etc.

No need to change the adapter plate, the floor Pan needs to be cut,
And your in luck! I have a g56 in a mega cab in willing to part with I'm 2wd but my g56 will work with 4x4. And I don't want the tcase. I want to convert my standard to auto. I also have a dual disk clutch.

Last edited:
In a few of the threads I clicked on & skimmed over I seen you posted in a few of them.

To be honest I just got sick of clicking "next page" over & over
So I started this thread with the most obvious title ever, hopeing to help the next guy.

Perfect, I was pretty sure it would be the same straight forward swap as I thought,
My biggest concern was I didn't know about the center console/dash part.

Thank you for the reply!

It's been discussed on here by me before in this section...

But

Ofcourse you'll need a clutch, Trans, new input for t-case, Trans mount, cut rear drive shaft/lengthen front drive shaft approx. 2.5", hydraulics, depending on what center console you have- a shift stick and associated boots and the floor mounted center console/cup holder, both brake/clutch pedal from a standard (they just snap in with pins) and you will need to retune the ECM with a smarty or efi live. Also you will need to do away with your shift cable and Trans cooler, heat exchanger, etc.

No need to change the adapter plate, the floor Pan needs to be cut,
And your in luck! I have a g56 in a mega cab in willing to part with I'm 2wd but my g56 will work with 4x4. And I don't want the tcase. I want to convert my standard to auto. I also have a dual disk clutch.

Said quite well!

are you looking for a core auto to build up or to drop in?? im currently looking to buy an '03 2wd truck up around dfw area and it has an auto in it. I have an '05 2wd 6spd donor already, but could maybe work something out if you'd like. I should know by lunchtime sat if im buying the truck or not.

Last edited:
are you looking for a core auto to build up or to drop in?? im currently looking to buy an '03 2wd truck up around dfw area and it has an auto in it. I have an '05 2wd 6spd donor already, but could maybe work something out if you'd like. I should know by lunchtime sat if im buying the truck or not.

I'm down for deal. If I just have a core to build that would be great. Or if its in running condition that would be great too. I have a semi
Build Trans that I can put in my 07 and I'll take the core and build it right and put in my 03. Just PM me with what you come up with.

Back