What's current for an 05 now days?

CorneliusRox

Seasoned Rookie
A friend of mine just decided to get a little crazier with his 12V so he bought an 05 CR w/ G56 for daily driving.

The last time I messed with that vintage, H&S, Smarty, and Edge were the go to box stock tuners.

What's everyone recommend for a stock truck with intake, exhaust, head studs, and a clutch?

And if you have a tuner lying around, I might take it off your hands. :Cheer:

For HP Tuners, what's the difference in an MPVI and MPVI2?
And when you say Smarty, just an old S06 or Jr does the job?

Tell your friend to sell me his motor and he can stuff a p24v in his truck :)

ha ha I doubt his wife would let him do that. He was asking me about if it'd be worth it to get a VP vintage 24V to Ppump in place of the 12V though... I told him he probably wouldn't regret it. :rockwoot::hehe:

It would be interesting to see what someone more intelligent than me would say. But I'm starting to wonder on a stock motor would box tuned smarty do the trick. Are the big name custom tuners really doing much more than a box tuner for stock trucks.

So you have a "stack" of box tuners.LOL Let's take this back to 07 where pressure boxes and smarts were king and the bros were still riding bikes

It would be interesting to see what someone more intelligent than me would say. But I'm starting to wonder on a stock motor would box tuned smarty do the trick. Are the big name custom tuners really doing much more than a box tuner for stock trucks.

Power wise, minimal gains. Big difference is drivability

Yeah, not looking to go full effort or spend a ton of money. I was just surprised how much of a slug an 05 feels like stock.

Driveability is pretty key, doesn't break anything (meaning he doesn't want to do valve springs, and ideally it'd keep things under control enough to not crack piston rings...) but needs to be a little fun for a DD.

Mark, PM me with what you find in your stack or tuners and some prices please.

If you are planning on reliability for a long time, I cannot stress the importance in having EXCELLENT injectors.
5.9 CRs have a terrible injector design and they'll dump fuel and burn down cylinders in nothing flat.
When you do injectors, get some real filtration and keep good fuel pressure and volume.

I hate tuners. Most up fuel pressure and go crazy on timing. Don't do that.

I think I have an older Smarty, which I believe is a true downloader, that you can get custom tune files to play with.

Build to a power level you can live with, don't get 800 horse worth of injectors if you only want 600 horse of engine and for the love of pete, make sure you have a turbo to make the power and clear the air!

Mark.

If you are planning on reliability for a long time, I cannot stress the importance in having EXCELLENT injectors.
5.9 CRs have a terrible injector design and they'll dump fuel and burn down cylinders in nothing flat.
When you do injectors, get some real filtration and keep good fuel pressure and volume.

I hate tuners. Most up fuel pressure and go crazy on timing. Don't do that.

I think I have an older Smarty, which I believe is a true downloader, that you can get custom tune files to play with.

Build to a power level you can live with, don't get 800 horse worth of injectors if you only want 600 horse of engine and for the love of pete, make sure you have a turbo to make the power and clear the air!

Mark.

Yeah, I think he was planning on staying stock injectors, stock turbo, stock CP3. Is the OEM filter not great? I thought it was a 5 micron.

And I think it's going to be more of a 400hp setup with less throttle lag, and he'd be happy.

Back