What's the current market on TDI's new or used?

TooMuchBoost

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I've been out of the TDI loop for awhile and I'm curious if $4.75 diesel has hurt or helped the sometimes very irrational TDI pricing.

prices seem very comparable in the NW from what I payed 2 years ago.

just don't buy a TDI with auto tranny... read sticky at TDI forums
loads of gotcha's connected to VW auto tranny's

Trust me, Andy knows a thing or two about the auto's in them LOL LOL

FWIW, he had the first Passat with a Suncoast converter the world has ever seen.

They are staying right there as to value.

And I'll third the trans comments. Unless your going to leave it stock (maybe not even then) stay away from the autos.

I bought 02 jetta TDI used for a deal, the tranny would quit pulling sometimes. I pulled the pan and cleaned out 3 pounds of crap (not really but alot!) and put in a new filter and some left over Bullydog fluid, it was like new shifted great. Had to use a Walbro fuel pump to put the fluid up into the pan. That worked well for about 3 months, then reverse went out. I had a local shop rebuild it for $1,000.00 does well now. I am still about half the cost of what its worth, based on what I have in it. Gets mid 40's in fuel mileage. I have ran it out of fuel a few times, it goes so far for so long, I forget to get fuel!

Just to clarify things are prices normal, depressed or inflated?

The DSG with added power is a turd but the 5sp Tip could take a lot of abuse after the replacing the oem converter with a beta Suncoast. One problem I had within the first week of adding race injectors was anything more than normal automatic ecu controlled down shifting from 5 to 4 would slip 5th once it went from 4th to 5th.

Meaning if you matted the pedal in 5th causing a downshift to 4th once it shifted back into 5th again anything but moderate power would slip 5th gear. The only way to correct it would be to pull over turn the car off then on and BAM no more slippage until you beat on it in 5th again. If you manually went to 4th it wasn't an issue.

Then again that car would get 30mpg @ 70 in 4th so many times in heavy traffic I just locked out OD.

I wanted to get my wife a Toureg, Not @ $80,000. $60,000 used TDI. VW is going to release a performance version to keep up with the Porsche Cayenne S. The VW TDI is rumored to be in the 400-600HP range and cost $128,000 BASELINE. Looks like the wife will have to keep dreamin.

Just bought an 02 Silver 4dr. Golf TDI 5sp.....Only 65K miles....I payed the price but looking at a AutoTrader.com search within the whole country, I could probably sell it right now here in the Atlanta area and make $2000 or so over what I paid for it......There are only a few listed....

If you do the math on a TDI vs. a gasser (civic, corolla, etc. or anything getting 30 +/- per gallon) your still saving money with the TDI!!!

Plus, I'm just a Diesel freak anyway....I would've bought it even if gas was still cheaper....

i bought a 79 rabbit diesel for 500 bucks and i'm doing a "LITTLE" re-vamp of the body and engine but it should be a sweet ride when i'm done and getting like 50 mpg

Just bought an 02 Silver 4dr. Golf TDI 5sp.....Only 65K miles....I payed the price but looking at a AutoTrader.com search within the whole country, I could probably sell it right now here in the Atlanta area and make $2000 or so over what I paid for it......There are only a few listed....

If you do the math on a TDI vs. a gasser (civic, corolla, etc. or anything getting 30 +/- per gallon) your still saving money with the TDI!!!

Plus, I'm just a Diesel freak anyway....I would've bought it even if gas was still cheaper....

gas IS still cheaper. lmao

the saturn i'm driving get 32-34 mpg: 3.95cpg/33mpg= 11.96cents/mile
the diesel rabbit@ 50 mpg: 4.75cpg/50mpg=9.5cents/mile
so i'll save a few cents per mile
at 90 miles per day that $516.60 a year savings

gas IS still cheaper. lmao

I mean't, Cheaper per mile!!!!

$4.80/gal for diesel divided by minimum 40mpg = $.12 per mile (will only get better on the hwy.)

$4.00/gal for gas divided by 30mpg. = $.13.33 per mile

That was my point!!!!

You CLEAR now?????

Just got 48.2mpg and put 705 miles on the last tank averaging 80-90mph. Not really something you can do with a gas car. The $4.79 hurts at first, but when you don't have to fill up for a couple weeks, I'd say it's worth having the diesel over the gasser.

I agree I loved my 06 TDI especially haveing the computer reprogrammed withh an aligator tune. I couldnt believe the mpg I could get with that thing. That was my first diesel and is the whole reason I wont own another gasser.

I wouldlove to make a street legal buggy or take an old bug and install a modern TDI engine tosee what kind of mpg you could get with it. I put almost 60,000 miles on mine before selling and never had a single problem with it.

Back