What's the most weight you've had in the bed?

CorneliusRox

Seasoned Rookie
I was thinking about loading up the bed with some class 5 gravel. I'm not sure how much it'll fit, but I'm sure it'll be too much for the stock leaf springs. I believe they're rated to 2630lbs in the 4wd version.
I've moved a bed full of wet split oak and it didn't even squat too much, but I'm sure this would be more dense.

Here's my thinking:

1.4 tons per cubic yard.
I figure the bed is 78" wide, 101.2" long, and 17" tall. (minus two ~25x14.3x~8 sections for the wheel wells)
That's ~2.81 cubic yards = ~4 tons = ~8000lbs

So... What's the max weight you guys have hauled and felt comfortable? I'm sure my tires will love me but it's only about 50 miles away.

Your tires are going to get hot as hell with that much weight going 50 miles in the summer.

I would be more worries about the rear end holding up than anything. A local landscape company took an f250 and put a dump bed on it. They hauled heavy with it until the rear started bending. They were stranded with the rear wheels cambered hard from bending.

Personally it wouldn't be worth the risk. Pay to have it hauled in and be done. Is there really nobody closer to you that sells ag material?

Your tires are going to get hot as hell with that much weight going 50 miles in the summer.

I would be more worries about the rear end holding up than anything. A local landscape company took an f250 and put a dump bed on it. They hauled heavy with it until the rear started bending. They were stranded with the rear wheels cambered hard from bending.

Personally it wouldn't be worth the risk. Pay to have it hauled in and be done. Is there really nobody closer to you that sells ag material?

I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere. I think there's a place over the state line that would be closer, but if I count where I work, it's kind of closest.

The reason I wanted to haul it on my own was so I could leave it in the bed and toss it by shovel over the course of a couple days. The area it needs to go to is on the other side of my septic line so I'll be transferring it into my Polaris Ranger and dumping it over and over. I'd just rather not have to do that job a few times.

Good call though on the axle. I didn't even think about that.

Yeah, I'll just get a half a load or something and make a couple trips.

All that being said. I'm still curious what people have successfully (and unsuccessfully if they have pictures) hauled.

IMG_5293.jpg

Ahem.... main pack on the left and overload on the right...

Just saying, my truck doesn't squat when loaded.... Ever. :D

4-4500lbs Two skids of fertilizer averaging a ton and change a piece. Did that pretty regularly for a year.

8000lbs in the bed is quite a bit...I've had 6500 or so on the bed of my old flatbed 95, and with the air bags, it didn't squat. However, with that old steel bed, and 6500lbs sitting on top, the duals were kissing each other and they got hot. I wasn't going far, but they still got hot.

If you can afford new tires, by all means, go for it...if you can't, better make two trips.
Chris

I've had 3500 of fertilizer in the bed. 50psi in the rear airbags. I just did 3000lbs on Thursday. Either way.....its more than I would do too often.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just going to make two trips. I like to get everything done at once, but yeah... It's just not worth it.

View attachment 58892
Ahem.... main pack on the left and overload on the right...

Just saying, my truck doesn't squat when loaded.... Ever. :D

When I built the lift for my truck, I tried taking a bunch of extra leafs to just make the packs larger for the 3" in the rear. It was so stiff, I'd hit a pothole and have the rear end jump over a foot. I since got rid of them. I think that would have handled it. Still would have had the tires and axle problem!

I have seen a hotshot driver haul 5000 lbs in the bed for a few hundred miles in The summer with no issue.

I hauled a pallet of Group 31 batteries, just shy of 3500#, @ 20 miles last week in my '98 2WD short bed quad cab. Not something I'd like to do often, but it was no problem. I don't think I'd attempt much more than that.

A little over 6k. 80 psi in the bags (D rated 35's with 20's). But only loaded it that heavy because I was going just a few miles before unloading it all.

S d truck spring 8 pack. Good for 4,000 or 6,000 a piece!

Attachments

• 20150817_223229.jpg
    20150817_223229.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
I hauled ~54 tons of gravel to build a driveway at my own house. I did it 6000-8000lbs at a time with my 2500HD [overloads] and air bags. It squatted the bags. Probably not the best idea, but the delivery was an expensive flat rate and I was only 6-8 miles from the pit. I wouldn't want to carry that much for 50 miles, especially if it was 55mph+ and/or curves.

I unloaded it all with a shovel, poor man's crossfit I guess.

A new Lance 1172 cabover camper weighs 4342lbs wet and with no gear, so maybe close to 5k loaded? I'd feel comfortable with that and maybe a bit more. They always err on the side of caution.

I used to haul two skids of bag salt in the bed of my 3500 plus the weight of the spreader and never had any problems. I'd say it was around 5k lbs.

Back