Where did you mount the bracket for your air shutoff cable?

Back of the box between where the bumper would be on my truck and bottom of the tailgate... Pretty common place

How are you guys running them exactly I understand the simple cable threw a tranny line to the back of the truck but if we had a break away it would be a pita to run it back threw at the track or if the in cab shut off is hooked on same pin threw the shut off am I over thinking this or is there a simple "break away " system so the pin is pulled and the cable does not get pulled all the way out
thanks joe

I used 2 boat throttle cables. 1 to the cab & 1 to the back of the truck.

Where the cable comes out of the hard line at the blast gate, put a cable clamp 3 or 4 inches up the cable. This acts as a stop so it doesn't come out of the hard line. At the back of the truck. Most rules say you must have a 2" steel ring. Attach your steel ring to your cable loop with 2 zip ties. The zip ties are strong enough to pull the blast gate, but will break when the cable clamp hit's the hard line at the other end. Just get your steel ring back, 2 zip ties and your back in business.

We used a pushpull cable and a pin with a 2" ring and a peice of 5/16 fuel line and hose clamp one clam on one side tighten tite and the one side tighten just enough to pull the kill.I have been doing like this for meny years,had better pictures in my gallery but they are gone.The wire ties are use to for to show the truck was teced.
09-22-09_1434.jpg

Dale

Last edited:
Rubber ducks the man for fabbing safety stuff

Thanks for putting me on the spot John! LOL I'll see what I can do in the morning when I get off work. I kinda dodged this pic request because my setup is not as awsome as I'd like it to be. But we know it works. And showing the setup on a Power Stroke may confuse people. LOL

Okay guys, here we go. But before we get started, this set up can be done much cleaner in my opinion. So forgive me for the crappy example.

The OP was asking where he mounted the ring at the back of the truck. I actually welded a piece of strap to the chassis, drilled a hole through it for the solid fuel line, and tach welded the line in place.

Next, the question was how to keep the cable from coming all the way out the hard line for the air shut off. A cable clamp before the hard line at the blast gate keeps it from coming out of the hard line, and zip ties on the ring at the back of the truck take care of that. The cable clamp hits the hard line, and the zip ties break. Cable stays in the hard line.

NOW, since I pull with more than one organization, I have to have 2 ways to pull the air shut off. In cab, and at the back of the truck. But I also have fuel shut off at the back of the truck as well as you will see in the pics.

SO, for in cab I got a sheathed hard cable with a "pull to stop" handle on the end from Tractor Supply. This cable is 6ft long with a soft plastic cover. I routed this from the dash to the blast gate and trimmed the hard cable where there is only about 3 inches from the end of the plastic left. After I mounted my hard line for the cable to the rear, I attached the cable to the plastic of the in cab shut off with zip ties, and cable clamps. So now if you pull on the rear cable, it will pull the plastic of the in cab cable, and pull the hard cable out of the blast gate. It won't come out of the cab since there is a knob on the other end not allowing it to be pulled out. AND, my cluster f*** connection there makes the knot that won't go through the hard line. LOL

Okay pics. Here you can see the over all set up. I have the hard line for the rear cable bolted to the master cylinder, and bent over towards the turbo. And you can also see the plastic sheeting over the in cab hard cable.

Pics129.jpg

Next is a better pic of my "knot" LOL I attached the rear cable to the in cab hard cable with cable clamps and zip ties. Don't clamp too tight, or the in cab cable will bind up.

Pics128.jpg

Next a closer look where you can see the end of the in cab hard cable going through the blast gate.

Pics127.jpg

Here at the back of the truck you can see where I have both my air, and fuel shut offs. The air shut off is actually tucked back because the last pull required fuel shut off at the back, and not air. But this pic shows the location of mine answering the OP's question.

Pics131.jpg

This last pic shows how to mount the 2" steel ring to your cable. Just 2 zip ties. The shut off with the ring on it in this pic is my fuel. but the cable that is tucked back has a ring mounted exactly the same way. And you can see how I ended my hard line for the air shut off cable.

Pics130.jpg

I hope this answers everybody's questions. If there is something I missed, or that you want to see something else, just let me know.

Man, this must be how a fat girl feels showing up for a blind date. LOL Well, even if you don't like looking at it, I hope it answered questions.

Back