where does your drone sound like its "coming from"

JBradley500

i was just thinking about ordering the FTE resonator but the only thing that keeps me from doing it is the drone sounds like its coming from under the hood.

does everyones drone come from different places or what? also, do you think that resonator would get rid of what im experiencing? i have 4" straight pipe from the turbo to the front of the back tire (white trashy like)

-mine is the worst about about 70mph or so in o/d... the speed where i spend most of my time.

Last edited:
What have you got for an air filter? When I had a BHAF on my 89, it talked pretty good. As for exhaust, I would say try and get the tailpipe a bit farther away from the truck. When you dump the exhaust anywhere under the truck, a standing wave will set up between the road and the box, causing the drone. A full tailpipe helps, and a muffler that is placed under the bed (and not under the cab) is also very helpful.

so basically the drone comes off of the entire length of exaust...but im hearing it from the downpipe because thats closest to me? if thats the case, id be stupid not to get a resonator.

my air filter is really open but i can tell that sound. the exhaust does exit ouward and past the body, just right infront of the rear tire.

Exhaust noise will resonate off anything the catches it. On my '04 dodge I had the tip slid in too far on the pipe and the exhaust noise was resonating off the inside of the rear bumper...I slid the tip out 2 inches and all the droning disappeared.

ordered the resonator from FTE. well see how it works out. it cant make it any worse, i can promise you that.

the fte will eliminate all drone, it works quite well. it actually made my truck too quiet, but its much easier to talk with the windows up or down

thats what im hoping for. i dont know if you mess with 1st gens much, but they arent built like a Lincoln. Wind, rattle and tire noise are bad enough.... drone takes the fun out of driving it.

I have a full 5" with a single and no muffler, and its a 24v. My exhaust drone is not bad, the damnd engine clatter is what deafens me. Damn thing sounds like its stuck at 24* timing constantly.

39942_453995735849_777585849_6264565_6786761_n.jpg

40300_453995760849_777585849_6264566_1142402_n.jpg

I went from 4" to 5" with a 5050 Aeroturbine in my ext cab 1st gen and the drone was terrible.

The system is 4" just past the transfer case then goes to 5" and exits over the axle behind the tire.

I then installed a 18" FTE resonator and it was almost no difference.

I then removed the Aeroturbine and added the 30" FTE resonator after the 18" and is definately better.

Still have drone that seems to be coming from the tailpipe.

Five inch exhaust is the worst mod I have ever done.:doh:

I am thinking of swapping my sliding rear window with a solid rear window to see if it helps.

Might even convert back to a Source Automotive 4" system.

I got the 4"x30" fte resonator. Installed it and fixed some hangers so nothing moves and the tip points more at the ground. Now the exhaust drone is about 95% better. Exhaust is now quieter than the turbo whistle, wind noise and rattling shifters (about at the same level of sound that my 33" ATZ's are). The exhaust quieted up a lot more than i expected from the outside too but that's good because i wanted to tone it down a lot.

Probably one of the best purchases for my truck. Id recommend it.

Back