Where would you put a TDI?

StuckinMud

Absolutely Clueless....
Been kicking this around for a while..

My wife has a 98 Jetta TDI we bought new wayy back then. It only has 170k on it, runs awesome. However the car is seriously returning to the earth as its a popular thing for the A3 body. So I need to get another year out of it or so as I hear the tiguan will get the TDI soon and that will be the next investment since my Ford got a cummins.

So I want 4wd to put this motor into. It will be modded as now it is bone stock as my wife didn't like seeing my VR6 get disassembled at 15k miles because I liked to race it....funny, same thing happened with my 6.0l ...

I have thought of a Rangers or the S10 or maybe even a jeep. I think with 200hp ish any of them should be happy getting 35 mpg with the benefit of 4x4 in the snow.

Any ideas or suggestions for a transplant vehicle?
Any experiences on how well the TDI performs in them?

Thanks- Dream away!

The VW cars are 3000-3200 lb curb weight. A jeep YJ body is close to the same.

Tacoma. I had a d50 turbo Diesel and it'd do 40+MPG on the highway with an older design and less power than a tdi.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Lots of guys are putting them into Tacoma's like chevota said, I have seen them in other volkswagens, older and newer, Audi, Jeep cherokee, liberty, rangers, and the list goes on, There is even a guy with a 3cylinder PD in a honda insight running it as a hybrid getting like 80-90mpg.

Running an AHU to 200hp can be tricky and requires a ton of mods - including switching to VNT turbos. I am at 180hp with my AHH(similar to an AHU). It took a turbo, nozzles, and a cam to get there and I still need an intercooler so I don't heat soak when it gets warm out.

Also, heavier vehicles will definitely bring up your EGTs. EGTs have been about the only correlation that I can see to cracked pistons so far, or W/M

Jon

Last edited:
I figured cam and nozzles for sure. If it goes in longitude I figure there would be plenty of room for some small twins..
The car has an intercooler now but whatever it went into would mean a bigger one!

I never considered the Taco..might have to check that out..

I was looking into doing the same thing a little while back and actually found quite a few people putting them into the older Toyota Trucks. These guys have the kits to bolt the TDI up to the toyota 5 speed manuals, ACME ADAPTERS - Store: Engine Kits

I was looking into doing the same thing a little while back and actually found quite a few people putting them into the older Toyota Trucks. These guys have the kits to bolt the TDI up to the toyota 5 speed manuals, ACME ADAPTERS - Store: Engine Kits

I was going to post this but he beat me too it.

I too have a 98 Jetta TDI that is a rust case...didn't help my car came from New York either. LOL But I bought it knowing how bad it was, but for the price I got it for I can't complain. I will drive it until the body fails then I am going to put the engine into an older toyota after a needed rebuild.

Mine has come a long ways...was only getting 35mpg when I got it. Now with a straightpipe, timing change, (injectors by PO), alligator chip, and Amsoil diesel additives I get 44-45mpg regularly. Not to mention these little cars are a blast to drive hopped up! LOL

I have a boat with a 140 merc inboard I have seriously thought about setting a TDI in.

LOL if it were up to us the world would be TDI powered...and towed through the galaxy by a PSD/ISB/DMAX...

The car has been worth it. Michigan salt has killed it but its been paid off for 8 years! I remember in 2000 when gas went to nearly 3.00 the first time, I was still driving that thing at 1.50 getting nearly 50mpg and using the AC when everyone else was driving windows down due to fuel prices. Its at 170k and well maintained...other than rust.

Thanks for the adapter info I figured that would be the biggest challenge.

Also on the sand rail my buddy already has a pre TDI VW diesel sand rail..its impressive!

Bradley GT kit car. they are based on the 60's vw bug chasis so it they are very light and very fun to play around in

rockyroad.com has a complete kit to stuff the tdi into a toyota or samurai

I would love a 1.9 in a Ford Sport trac,4 adults a small bed and 35 mpg ,sweet.
You would almost need a downer car for ecm,accelerator pedal,hard to tell what else,I need to study up,I need another project,the Fummins is done and the Jetta has 298000 now.

I would like to put a TDI in a Ranger. How adaptable are they? What are some of the problems with in stalling this FWD engine in RWD chassis?
Are there any companies that manufacture the parts to do it? I have seen the Suzuki kits.
I just picked up a old Diesel Ranger with the 2.3 4D55 Mitsubishi engine, but it had a busted timing belt and broke some rockersand bent some valves. I'm having a hard time finding parts for it. I was thinking about using the old Ranger drive-train in a newer ranger if I find the parts to fix the engine.

Back