Which hitch will have more down force ?

1965LONEWOLF

lonewolf
Which hitch will have more down force ? Hitch length will be the same. Let me know your thoughts , thanks guys .

Attachments

• hitch 1.jpg
    hitch 1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 0
  • hitch # 2.jpg
    hitch # 2.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 0
both seem to work , both at set at 26" hitch height . just want to know if the one with more angle has more down force or the other one does or its all equals out some how ?

If the hook is at the exact same point, nothing will change.
If the angle of the chain is altered in any way (higher/further back hook), it will slightly change.

If the hook is at the exact same point, nothing will change.
If the angle of the chain is altered in any way (higher/further back hook), it will slightly change.

Exactly, the force of the sled vectors are determined by the angle of the chain, usually 33*. If the hook point and height of the hitch are the same the down force vector is is the same. The only way you can change that is to adjust the pivot point to hook point angle.

If the "draw bar," in this case a "reese" style hitch, pivot point is the same for both hitches, the angle will remain the same as long as the hook point is the same height and length from the pivot point.

You can also multiple downforce by moving the effort closer to the pivot point and further away from the hook point. Most hitches are a class 3 lever.

In a class three lever the resistance is between the force of the effort and the fulcrum. In a class three lever the force of the effort multiplied by the distance of the effort from the fulcrum is opposite and equal to the force of the resistance multiplied by the distance of the resistance from the fulcrum. The effort and the resistance are on the same side of the fulcrum but point in opposite directions.

-Fe × de = Fr × dr

You can also multiple downforce by moving the effort closer to the pivot point and further away from the hook point. Most hitches are a class 3 lever.

In a class three lever the resistance is between the force of the effort and the fulcrum. In a class three lever the force of the effort multiplied by the distance of the effort from the fulcrum is opposite and equal to the force of the resistance multiplied by the distance of the resistance from the fulcrum. The effort and the resistance are on the same side of the fulcrum but point in opposite directions.

-Fe × de = Fr × dr

I think you just lost over half of you audience. LOL:clap::clap::clap:

Exactly, the force of the sled vectors are determined by the angle of the chain, usually 33*. If the hook point and height of the hitch are the same the down force vector is is the same. The only way you can change that is to adjust the pivot point to hook point angle.

If the "draw bar," in this case a "reese" style hitch, pivot point is the same for both hitches, the angle will remain the same as long as the hook point is the same height and length from the pivot point.

-Fe × de = Fr × dr

attachment.php

It's all about the vectors. LOL

That’s right, Victor.

Attachments

• 18DCD21C-0DC4-487D-8C3A-782C0AB90AFA.png
    18DCD21C-0DC4-487D-8C3A-782C0AB90AFA.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 0
Actually, that would be statics, but whatever. It's all about the vectors. LOL

I am referring to some of the posts I have seen on here, that clearly show a lack of understanding of statistics and probability.

I think there are some dynamics that come into play as well. Not just statics. LOL

I would think that the first pic with the shackle would create another point of movement which may lead to a less consistent application of force, more "bounce" potential.

So even if they both create the same amount of downward pressure the shackle would allow it to fluctuate more.

I do agree that the height and angle of the chain is what determines the amount of force transferred.

I also claim to know absolutely sh*t about pulling.

26" hitch height is the limit, i assume picture one would have more down force due to higher bolting point , but i'm no brain child and only understand English .

26" hitch height is the limit, i assume picture one would have more down force due to higher bolting point , but i'm no brain child and only understand English .

The bolting point doesn't matter if the hook point height, length, and angle to pivot point are all the same. The leverage point and angle will remain the same.

Are you required to use a "reese" style receiver hitch or can you use a draw bar with moveable adjusters?

Angle not a factor, rigidity is.
In other words a hitch engineered toward KEEPING more hitch height is going to reap more footage than any particular angle.
That's what I've found over the years, but I only been doing it since 1975, guess I'm still learnin.

Back