Which turbos now

Drothgeb

Almost Fast-N-Loud
I'm currently running a 62/65 .70 over a 80/88 1.10. The secondary has ported wastegates with oversize pucks, the primary has an egate. It runs pretty good for being a street/strip truck. But since the track is closing in a few months, and I'm thinking I would like to step it up a notch.

I was thinking that I might run a 63/68 over the 80 for a little while, then jump the 80 up to a 83. But then I get to thinking.... why not throw on a 64/71 on for a little while, then bump the 80 to an 83, or maybe, an 88.

I can get a really nice (billet, steel thrust) 64/71 for less than a regular 63/68, so I'm kinda leaning in that direction. But I'm worried about getting it spooled. Right now I run 26-28 of timing with a 2000 stall TC, and it's not's terribly hard getting it spooled. So I'm not cencerned about a 63/68, but I am a little concerned about a getting a 64/71 over the 80 going off the line.

So.... I'm looking for some input. How much difference is there in spooling between the 63 and the 64? Guys running 63 or 64 over 80s and bigger, when do they really get going?

Do you have a cam?

Are you opposed to spraying it for spooling purposes? If not your problems are solved.

The head is ported, but it still has the stock cam. I'd had planned on running as is this year. Then doing a full rebuild over the winter, and shooting for big numbers next year. But with the track closing in a few months, my hand is being forced.

And, I'm going on vacation for a month in a few weeks, so time and money is too tight to do much more than turbos for the summer.

Nitrous is a possibility, but only as a last resort.

I would estimate putting a spool flange on the secondary would result in you being able to spool just about any secondary you'd consider. Ofcourse, it will cost money and you will have to modify a good portion of your compound plumbing. Regardless, just another option to consider.

I could be way off, but why not just upgrade the primary now, see how it does, then adjust the secondary.

Cant you gate around the secondary?

I would estimate putting a spool flange on the secondary would result in you being able to spool just about any secondary you'd consider. Ofcourse, it will cost money and you will have to modify a good portion of your compound plumbing. Regardless, just another option to consider.

I could be way off, but why not just upgrade the primary now, see how it does, then adjust the secondary.

Cant you gate around the secondary?

I just finished making and powder coating all new piping. Got everything where it fits perfect even with the trans cooler. At this point, I'm just too pressed for time to do it again.

I thought about upgrading the primary first, but with the secondary sitting on top, it's quick and easy to do first. The 62 works OK with the 80, I'm not so sure with something much bigger though.

Id do the 64/71 if you plan on a 84-88mm down the road.

If I was sure that I could spool it, I'd go ahead and do a 64/88. But with the track closing, next year the truck will switch to towing a 14,000lb boat. So I don't want to swap converters just for a couple of months.

How well is your 63 working out for you? Are you happy with it, or do you wish you'd gone bigger over that big primary?

I just finished making and powder coating all new piping. Got everything where it fits perfect even with the trans cooler. At this point, I'm just too pressed for time to do it again.

I thought about upgrading the primary first, but with the secondary sitting on top, it's quick and easy to do first. The 62 works OK with the 80, I'm not so sure with something much bigger though.

If I was sure that I could spool it, I'd go ahead and do a 64/88. But with the track closing, next year the truck will switch to towing a 14,000lb boat. So I don't want to swap converters just for a couple of months.

How well is your 63 working out for you? Are you happy with it, or do you wish you'd gone bigger over that big primary?

Its doing good but i do think i coukd pick some up with a bigger turbine housing or wheel. But if you are sticking to a s400 frame the 68 turbine should be fine.

After weighing the benefits/drawbacks between bigger turbos, spool flanges, nitrous and etc, I've decided to upgrade the cam. Probably go with a 188/220. Hopefully, that sucker is going to fit without needing a thicker head gasket.

Back