Which way to go with P-pump?

PRattenbury

Neophyte
Right now I have a 13 mm pump, which puts out way too much fuel the way it's set now, even pulling the plate, AFC and all that stuff all the way back. So I'm wondering if I could send the pump to a pump shop and have the barrels turned to cut the fuel flow to a reasonable level, or just sell it and use the money to buy a smaller pump. I'm thinking having the 13mm turned down might be a good way to go because I'd get a quicker fill time with the bigger plunger. Am I thinking right?

181's. It has a #5 plate in it, all the way back. AFC all the way back. CDS 5KGSK, timing at 24 degrees. Pump was set to 550 cc as it was, and supposedly able to do 700 if set to kill.

My pump is set about the same and daily drives fine with max fuel. Is it a smoke issue, or something else.

ive been reading a little on these 13mm pumps and it sounds like they cant be streetable but yet some people do it?

:pop:

Too much smoke, turbo (or turbos, I've had a couple different setups) don't spool. Truck has never run right with the engine (including pump) it has in it now. Not that I'm any diesel genius. Far from it. Something's wrong. I've been trying for 2 or 3 years now (I forget) to get the foolish thing to go reasonably well. It just never has. I guess I'll just keep trying, get disgusted, ignore it for a couple months, try again.... the cycle continues. Or, get rich and famous, and hand it over to a shop with carte blanche and tell them to make it go fast, like it should. Only 40 grand or so invested in it.

I had a set of II Towing Twins on it first, then a single 64/71-13 and now an S471 big single (haven't run on the street with that yet). I'm thinking if the 64 wouldn't produce any more than 40-45 PSI boost, or the small twins, something is wrong. I feel like I've got too much fuel, I can tell it just gets buried and the fire gets put out. I can hear it.

Afc adjustments helped me the most on spooling turbos. I have a stock gov spring in mine.
Pulling timing out helped too, but I came down to 25*.
Try some smaller sticks.

Have you checked the system for boost leaks?

I squeezed mine down pretty tight on the bottom with the afc. It helped the smoke around town quite a bit. I have to be easy on the throttle taking off, but it is not bad at all. I see alot of trucks running big injectors at the 4-500 mark that smoke alot worse than mine does. Don't know what to tell you about the lack of boost. Most of the earlier injectors I tried, smoked alot at light throttle. Most notably the DDP's. Weston could probably explain why. Good luck with it. My frustration level was pretty high several times before things started coming together.
I see you are running 24deg of timing. I'm at 25 and it cackles like a hen trying to lay 2 at once.

Afc adjustments helped me the most on spooling turbos. I have a stock gov spring in mine.
Pulling timing out helped too, but I came down to 25*.
Try some smaller sticks.

Have you checked the system for boost leaks?

I had smaller sticks in it. Going bigger actually helped in some respects. I did check for boost leaks. It won't sit there and hold boost, but I didn't expect it to, since some exhaust valves were open. Through the turbos and up to the intake horn it would hold.

If they are the sac style, you will not come close to cleaning them up, ever.

I haven't yet. No where even close. If I am not careful on the skinny pedal, I go no where. But strangely enough, even if I do seem to get on top of the turbo(s), I can't get any more than 45 pounds of boost. Of course, I have a redonculous Scheid cam in it, with fly cut marine pistons, too. And I paid for a ported head. Looks like someone did threaten it with a Dremel. But it ain't no port job I'd want to put my name on. Also have the ZZ Fab intake. Guess I could hook up the nitrous tubes and see what she'll do.

there are many issues I can see with that setup it is all mismatched (cam, compression, turbo)

running a 4500+ rpm cam in a motor that you want to make power at 2500 is not a proper setup. what is the intake center line set at.

the only way that setup will run right is with more injection timing and a larger tubo and above 3000 rpm (not a good street setup)

also get rid of those 10 hole inj

Back