Which year D-max is the best for moding

My uncle has an lb7 and i have a lbz. I like my lbz by far. Both trucks are bone stock. Mine has more power, better tranny, and hasnt had any issues. his has been a good truck but has had to have some repairs.

why is that?

Simply because it is my first diesel bought brand new in may of 2006 and it hasn't given me one lick of trouble. The only two things that had to be done were under warrenty and they were the glow pulg re-flash for the ecm which was a recall in 2006 per GM and the ECM went wacky in 2007 not sure as of why but it to was covered per dealer under warrenty also. The LB7 is also a great truck just had a few bumps in the road so it kinda get my second vote. There again as I posted both are great trucks its just the LBZ is my favorite but to each his/her own opinion thsta just mine.

I think the LLY is great for modding. No cracked pistons yet no injector issues. Best of both worlds

They are all good. LBZ/LMM for easiest to 500HP with less issues and less work. After 600hp they all need the same stuff. After 1000hp, just depends on what rpm you want to perform at.

I think an important point to look at is that the 06 up trucks, both LBZ and LLY have a bigger stock turbo, higher flowing injectors, and lower compression. But those trucks do get pricey. Also know that an 06 LLY is mechanically identical to an LBZ, its just different tuning from the factory, but for a dealer or person who doesnt know any better you can use that as a bargaining chip claiming that its the older motor.

If you dont need a truck now, my suggestion to you is to shop around and wait for the right deal. I have less than $35k into both of my trucks, mods included.

Weren't airflow improvements made on the LBZ heads?

Eh, maybe it was the intake runners and not the heads? I dont remember for sure, i just got my 06 a few months again and honestly had no idea that an 06 LLY is just an LBZ with a lighter tune until i started reading up on the newer ones.

I think an important point to look at is that the 06 up trucks, both LBZ and LLY have a bigger stock turbo, higher flowing injectors, and lower compression. But those trucks do get pricey. Also know that an 06 LLY is mechanically identical to an LBZ, its just different tuning from the factory, but for a dealer or person who doesnt know any better you can use that as a bargaining chip claiming that its the older motor.

If you dont need a truck now, my suggestion to you is to shop around and wait for the right deal. I have less than $35k into both of my trucks, mods included.
Lb7s have the highest flowing injectors of the bunch.

And I believe the LLY turbo is the biggest one stock as well. LBZ is my favorite though for a basic daily driver. They are so smooth you don't realize teh HP, a basic tune really turns them on, and the trans is pretty good from the get go with just a shift kit.

Back