White road boss dump truck needs more power.

gunracer1

I bought this the other day and I have no idea what tranny is in it or for sure what motor. I was guessing a 350 bc cummins and a eaton but then I noticed the other switch on the dash.
I could really use another 100 horses or so, what the best way to get there. The motor tag is gone as is the name plate on the old truck.

cd4cfdd9.jpg

Probably a 15 speed. My 359 is set up the same way, straight shifter with a knife splitter and a low range switch on the dash.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like a 15spd, best way to tell is to see if you can use every gear with that engaged. The engine looks to be a 290 big cam, anything more would have had an after cooler on it.

The block number is on drivers side under number 3 head at the top corner of the block, should be a flat area, if you get this number I can tell you what it is for sure.

Last edited:
i was driving a dump truck with a 285hp cummins.. i threw a 15 button(stock was a 37) in it and it runs and drives way way better.. smoke isnt a problem at all so im thinking its not over fueled much just runs better.. i would start with a button and maybe a couple of turns on the fuel pressure.. you should get and exhaust temp guage if your going to play with it. i was told they dont like to be heated like our little motors will take. I keep my rig below 1300 at all cost.. well my box also defuels at 13oo so that helps.

It would surprise you what a little change like that would make, I don't like to change the pump settings if I don't have too, I know on my 400 an injector change was enough to wake it up without ever changing the pump settings from a factory 40 spec.

First thing I would do would be to find a cooler for it; I wouldn't change anything until that happens, high compression and high IATs do not go well together.

Yep, probably a 15 then. Only use the deep reduction in the bottom 5 gears. I've forgot to flip it out a few times before going to high range and it makes a god-awful sound lol.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

i was driving a dump truck with a 285hp cummins.. i threw a 15 button(stock was a 37) in it and it runs and drives way way better.. smoke isnt a problem at all so im thinking its not over fueled much just runs better.. i would start with a button and maybe a couple of turns on the fuel pressure.. you should get and exhaust temp guage if your going to play with it. i was told they dont like to be heated like our little motors will take. I keep my rig below 1300 at all cost.. well my box also defuels at 13oo so that helps.

where can i get this 15 button you speak of. i am very ignorent on pump that dont come on a 5.9 thanks mike

i got mine from Santa Rosa Diesel, it was 12 bucks. im sure any cummins or bosche shop can get you what you need.. i also put a few gove shims in for a couple of more rpms..
once you do a PT pump you will see how easy it really is.. do some searching and you will find all the proper instructions you want for the button, fuel pressure and gov shims..

Pics of the truck, I got it for 4k and it runs pretty good, just not as well as I would like.
31748af5.jpg

I fixed the broke air line last night and it switches into low range no problem. But I can't imagine needing anything lower. The switch seems stuck for the real low crawler gears. It will only do 15 miles per hour in low range. I will mess with it some more this weekend. I have been reading up on steel soldiers for turning it up.

Sweet! I'll trade ya. I got this jewel for $2500. Has an 8.2L Detroit and all air. Also needs another 100hp. LOL

view1.jpg

If you want any more info on the trans, the tag should be on the passanger side towards the rear... Chart B on the interchange manual for the heavy trans has more info on all the eatons you could want.

Literature Center
[%20!--$HttpCgiPath--]?IdcService=GET_FILE&allowInterrupt=1&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&noSaveAs=0&Rendition=Primary&&dDocName=ct_070803

Last edited:
Back