White Smoke, Not coolant

OnVacation

I finally got the truck put back together today, and aside from an exhaust manifold needing a gasket, things really went together pretty well.

Started the truck up and let it idle while I went through and inspected all the oil lines, coolant lines, etc to check and make sure there were not leaks. everything was getting oil, and the truck was idling very nice. I noticed if I tapped the throttle and let off the idle went really low before rebounding.

I pulled out for a test drive, and when I hit the gas to accelerate I felt the boost kick in then a split second later i heard a pop and had a thick whitish gray smoke. I pulled over and could smell diesel in the smoke. I nursed it the hundred yards back to the house. it wouldn't accelerate and I didn't want to push it. it was still idling just fine.

its not drinking any coolant, it didn't have the blue haze of oil. The truck has been off the road and sitting since last July. Is it possible I have an injector stuck open? What could cause this?

Video shows smoke:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwptVC_At5Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwptVC_At5Y[/ame]

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
well thats easy to fix. I probable forgot to tighten down the adjustable timing gear.

I'll readjust and try again.

picture.php

pump was loose. this is the tiny bolt that I had put in to hold the timing. its broken. I feel like a dumbass.

someone tell me there is no reason for me to tear the front cover off again to pull the back half off of the pump gear...

I cant adjust the pump manually.

Any more words of advice?

the six main bolts are still in place. the only one that broke was the small bolt is there for 1.5 degree adjustments. is there enough room behind the pump gear for that to back out and cause damage?

Yea

You could try a small screw driver and see if you can back it out

Last edited:
I already rebuilt once because of the KDP, I'm not going to risk it backing out, I'll pull the cover off to pull the broken piece. Damn, and just when I had it back together... Good chance to have the bolts countersunk anyways

Back