Who tows with a 1st gen Dodge?

Brakes arent the best but the the truck itself pulls fine. My biggest problem with it is that mines a 2wd and the hitch height is really low.

Agreed on the brakes not being the greatest but its not so bad if you have good trailer brakes.

30 ft gooseneck and we have hauled anything that could be put on the trailer.

IMG_1036.jpg

Thats it? One person? What trans do you have in yours blackwidow?

this is 2010 and you're on Competition Diesel... you're talking about a 20yr old truck and not talking about hot rodding it. why not post up on a 1st gen forum? :confused:

the first reply told you everything you need to know... they'll pull anything and stop like a covered wagon

this is 2010 and you're on Competition Diesel... you're talking about a 20yr old truck and not talking about hot rodding it. why not post up on a 1st gen forum? :confused:

the first reply told you everything you need to know... they'll pull anything and stop like a covered wagon

If I recall correctly this is the towing and hauling section. Now if I were to guess, this just might be a place where hot rodding is put on the back burner so you could tow or haul something. I'm sorry if i offended you by asking a question on here and wanting a little more in depth answer. My bad. MY BAD.

I have a 92 2wd auto, i regularly tow with, i usually have a 30 foot gooseneck and BIG mud truck on the back. i havnt noticed a braking problem, mabye because its a brand new trailer, or because i like to have alot of trailer braking. It sucked when i first got the truck (bone stock) but with a custom amsoil intake, strait exhaust, 12cm exhaust housing, pump maxxed, and timming bumped, it tows very nice. I cant even get the egts past 1200, even to the floor on the steepest hills.

If I recall correctly this is the towing and hauling section. Now if I were to guess, this just might be a place where hot rodding is put on the back burner so you could tow or haul something. I'm sorry if i offended you by asking a question on here and wanting a little more in depth answer. My bad. MY BAD.

your BAD!!! LOL

lighten up... just saying, there are better places to ask this question if you need a ton of replies in a day :eek:

there's also an import diesel forum on CompD... it gets about 3 posts a month... I wouldn't recomend posting any pressing VW/Mercedes questions on there if you need a gang of answers that day :eek:

you have to realize, Forrest is an asshole:hehe::hehe::hehe:

just to certain people though

Mine does Pretty well, if you keep the brakes adjusted up they arent to bad, not nearly as good as my 02 but then again, the truck is 20 years old.

I have towed alot with my 1990 i had, had plenty of power, but the brakes arent the best. Egt's got kinda hot without an intercooler and the pump maxed. I saw 1800* alot....

you have to realize, Forrest is an asshole:hehe::hehe::hehe:

just to certain people though
certain people=people that are alive:hehe:

And also, he's right. How many members do we have towing with a first gen? And this is a low traffic area of the site...

My 91 auto 4x4 has towed everything ive hooked to it without a major issue...
Non IC - she runs hot but the truck tows great, by far the best 20 year old tow/pickups

Used to tow alot with my 89. but they were awsume in there day what else did you have chevy 6.2 of ford 7.3 yuck

I have a 92 2wd auto, i regularly tow with, i usually have a 30 foot gooseneck and BIG mud truck on the back. i havnt noticed a braking problem, mabye because its a brand new trailer, or because i like to have alot of trailer braking. It sucked when i first got the truck (bone stock) but with a custom amsoil intake, strait exhaust, 12cm exhaust housing, pump maxxed, and timming bumped, it tows very nice. I cant even get the egts past 1200, even to the floor on the steepest hills.

Is yours a standard or an auto?

Stock auto A518 tranny.

My 91 with a stick does great. I agree on the brakes. 15k is no problem. Just run good brake pads and thick rotors, most of the aftermarket rotors are thin and heatup fast. Make sure the rotors you get are 1" 1/4 thick. And good tires makes a difference if you are loading the rear of the truck a lot. Good luck

Bone stock '92 D250 five speed, 240K miles. Hauls hay and cattle with no problem. This pic was on a 90 degree day and the temp gauge never moved.

DSC00082.jpg

I haven't had any issues in the stopping department. I tow every once in a while with my short bed.

I had a 92 reg cab 4x4 5 speed. The brakes were junk in my opinion. It had a new pump maxed and governer spring, pump timing pushed all the way and marine 300 (40 hp without the pump mods) injectors and a 12 cm housing off of a hx35. I think it towed great. The tighter exh housing actually cooled the egts down over the 18 or 21 that was on it originally. It was able to accelerate much faster and get on top of the rpm's. It did good on fuel too. I real fun, awesome sounding and cool looking truck on the outside. Interior sucked, brakes sucked and was hard to put a carseat in the middle spot. Lol

I actually think it was a better tower than my bonestock 05 motor wise but this truck is a million times better.

Back