Who's dyno tested their 12v vgt combo?

VGT, operated from an air cylinder through an electronic controller mounted on the engine. Came off ISX475's in Class 8 trucks...not sure what year. Have to go look. It was a few years back though!

Chris

VGT, operated from an air cylinder through an electronic controller mounted on the engine. Came off ISX475's in Class 8 trucks...not sure what year. Have to go look. It was a few years back though!

Chris

I know these are going to be pre 08. We seem to have a 3 year gap at work with the ISX's and know for sure the 04-05's were set up the way your talking about.

The new actuator works way better than the old setup. We are now using boost to keep the veins closed and drive pressure to open them. My brother said it is getting closer to feeling like our old S300 (71mm) setup on the low end. Boost is around 40psi on the street. The old S300 would not stay on our 60lb boost gauge on the dyno.

We are waiting on a set of Weston's comp dv's then hopefully on the dyno again. I am not going to set a hard date since it is the holiday season.

So you are using a double acting air cylinder? boost into the retract end, and drive pressure in the extend? That was my plan, but I never got around to getting it done.

So you are using a double acting air cylinder? boost into the retract end, and drive pressure in the extend? That was my plan, but I never got around to getting it done.

Boost to expend, drive to retract.....of course that depends on how they mounted it...the cylinder could be mounted differently;)

Chris

Boost to expend, drive to retract.....of course that depends on how they mounted it...the cylinder could be mounted differently;)

Chris

Correct. The 551v works opposite of the he351ve's that others have retrofitted. Retracting the cylinder opens the veins and extending the cylinder closes them. The setup looks identical to the pictures that I posted before but now it has one more line going to the cylinder. I was fortunate to find a cylinder with the exact same proportions as the single acting cylinder we had before. It made fabrication for the new setup much easier!

I'm assuming you've messed around with how far it closes too? I noticed a big difference when I stopped closing it down completely!

Chris

A guy I know has a new 551VETi for sale on here. Titanium wheels are pretty sweet $$$$.

Any idea on a cover I could use and get it machined to be a 2.6 turbo with protrusion? Super Stock drag racing or a turbo to try on the pulling truck?

I have an HE561VE with an exploded compressor wheel....or what happened to that one UPS screwed up, would it work?

Chris

I have an HE561VE with an exploded compressor wheel....or what happened to that one UPS screwed up, would it work?

Chris

It may work, but I would have to cut off the discharge flange and weld on a new one? I just need to find someone to add material to the cover and then re-machine it. They would also have to clip the compressor wheel for protrusion. I was wondering if a cover from something else would fit....? I will look around.

Not sure...the major diameter of that wheel is close to the size of an S480.

I know the 561 cover I have the discharge is OK, but the backside of the ocver is pretty scarred from the explosion.

Chris

Yeah it is close 108mm to 110mm for an S480.

I need to get this one on the dyno then worry about what I am going to do next.

Back