whos running one piece rear driveshaft

nc-12vpower

I have a 97 ECLB 4x4 and have thought about replacing the factory two piece rear driveshaft with a one piece.

We are building the truck (hope to have around 800 hp) what would you suggest for rear driveshaft?

1 Peice > Stock.... I dont care if your driving it on the street or not. I went to a custom one peice in my DD/Weekend Puller and wouldnt go back.

I went to a one piece also, and went back to a two piece. Depending on the length of the one piece they may be too long and vibrate when driving. I was limited to 70 MPH, which does not work for me so I rebuilt my two piece and put it back in.

I run a one piece 4" .095 wall tube 72" center to center with spicer 1480 joints in my puller and it is fine. I even drove it on the street some too. The shop didn't want to build it for street. I have been running it for almost two years.

I run a one piece 4" .095 wall tube 72" center to center with spicer 1480 joints in my puller and it is fine. I even drove it on the street some too. The shop didn't want to build it for street. I have been running it for almost two years.

Thanks

I went to a one piece also, and went back to a two piece. Depending on the length of the one piece they may be too long and vibrate when driving. I was limited to 70 MPH, which does not work for me so I rebuilt my two piece and put it back in.

A steel shaft (stl) or AL shaft.... sounds like it was a stl shaft. However when getting into the single length shafts that are touching high 70" and low 80'' BALANCING is SUPER important and many shops use low speed dynamic balancing machines and they have a hard time getting the shafts balanced properly, however STL shafts should never exceed 65" on a street or drag truck

For a pulling truck you can run a single shaft, Al or Stl

For a street truck you can also run a single shaft, just make sure it is only an Aluminum shaft and done right for the type of driving you do or might expect to do one day.

I have 1 pc shafts in all my trucks and plenty of others.

Last edited:
Why do you feel it's better than stock?

It takes out the weak link in the center. I've had more than a few guys blow them up in our area. JR Machine makes our steel one piece shafts and are high speed balanced. Never had a problem driving one on the street, and the upgraded ujoints are great also.

A steel shaft (stl) or AL shaft.... sounds like it was a stl shaft. However when getting into the single length shafts that are touching high 70" and low 80'' BALANCING is SUPER important and many shops use low speed dynamic balancing machines and they have a hard time getting the shafts balanced properly, however STL shafts should never exceed 65" on a street or drag truck

For a pulling truck you can run a single shaft, Al or Stl

For a street truck you can also run a single shaft, just make sure it is only an Aluminum shaft and done right for the type of driving you do or might expect to do one day.

I have 1 pc shafts in all my trucks and plenty of others.

Steel shaft, 73.625" long, balanced to 3k RPM shaft speed, which puts me at 70 MPH, and boy could you tell as soon as you got above 70 MPH. I believe that we have had this conversation already about steel vs aluminum, but no matter what for now I have a completely rebuilt two piece in place that better last me another 80K.

Back