Why no "street" compounds with the primary out front?

bluthndr

So just curious, as I am thinking about building some for my truck, which has never had a battery on the passenger side since I swapped the 12v in.

Why do you never see a compound setup (except on the very few competition trucks I've seen with hoods up) where the primary is out front by the passenger battery box instead of packed underneath?

I was thinking I'd flip my exhaust manifold, turn the 62/14 exhaust housing forward, and then hang a 475 or 480 compressor forward in the (unused) battery box area on the passenger side. I get to keep my water/oil trans cooler, have a really short hot pipe, and something different.

Before I head down that road, since I have NEVER seen that on a street truck and only a few competition trucks (that I have had the good fortune to spy under the hood of). Thoughts?

Its easier to put it underneath. Bracing to hold the charger and down piping with inner fender would an issue on a street truck. Not to mention heat from the 5" down pipe would be a concern for me

Last edited:
I thought industal injection add a turbo kit was putting the secondarys out front? I know in the compound thread there was a few that did it that way. But i have no idea how the second gen are for room. Mine are like that but its a first gen so its a different story
Jon

posted while getting paid.

I dd mine with it up front, ac and heat exchanger are still there too, with my 5in down pipe. My secondary however isnt backwards.

20130213_175152_zps84bebc7f.jpg

Last edited:
Seems to me like it would be easier to plumb the traditional way, and having the hot pipe shorter should impart more exhaust energy on the primary.

I like lostnwalmarts twins, but I think tucking the primary down by the engine is cleaner, and like ghostman said, and utilizes the heat(energy) more efficiently. Also, you have to figure out what air filter you are going to use.

Ghost I agree but didn't feel like moving the trans cooler or notching the frame LOL

Ghost I agree but didn't feel like moving the trans cooler or notching the frame LOL

I hear ya, put where ya can put it.

Manual here, so no heat exchanger worries. Plus my primary is much smaller than yours....lol

E0ECF818-AEA8-475E-99A1-3F749ABC2545-1838-000002C7CDF48DC8_zps965fc0f4.jpg

Mines out front. Not street driven a lot, but I did drive it from Ohio to Tennessee with no problems

If my hot pipe looked like that, I wouldn't be talking sh!t to anyone.

I'm not talking ****. And yes I know it looks like ****. I built it quick with what I had to check figment etc. I am building a new one. Just got this in the mail.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362610397.089028.jpg

Back