Why?

mikehalseyjr

Ride the Elephant
Why do you guys think FMC/Navistar put two turbo's on this engine? If General Motors & Mopor can meet emissions with a single, why cant FMC??

I think it is a marketing thing in my opinion!

marketing maybe. I don't think it was for emmisions since IH is meeting the requiements with a single on the same motor. I think it is for better off the line response to get rid of that dead spot up to 2000 prm's that most 6.0 and 7.3's have.

all marketing in my openion, i was very dissapointed in the spool up of the 6.4 but alot of guys will buy them just for the TT
robert

alldiesels said:
all marketing in my openion, i was very dissapointed in the spool up of the 6.4 but alot of guys will buy them just for the TT
robert

I agree 100%!!

Sure seems like the potential for big power will be there. It will just take some tweeking and tuning

2 always sounds better then one..... therefore not knowing people withh think the 6.4 is superior to other trucks

same reason they keep putting v-8's in. most of the public is not like us, when they hear V-8 or Twin Turbo they automaticall thing > = better.

Think about it! Why do they push up to 42 PSI stock. A single would be overloaded with that much boost in my opinion.

When the 6.4L 1st went into testing rumors where that it was going to be 400+ HP. Maybe the twins where to keep the EGT’s down with that much HP.

Last edited:
there has to be a difference in efficiency factor with the additional turbo

I think it is marketing hype to get rid of the bad taste a lot of people have after the 6.0 issues. twins does sound awsome, and most people (including diesel forum guys) don't fully understand the concepts of turbo maps, efficiency ranges, etc!

I can see where it may be a slight advantage in low end response without smoke if set up and sized right though.

George

Back