Wife’s 06’ just started doing this popping sound

When* it happens it start off missing and if I give it a hair more throttle it will go pop pop and the clear up. You can hear it on the video.

My guess. Valve. Stop driving.
Could be a rocker starting to seize on the pin.

It has popped/missed once in awhile over the last year the same way as vid shows but that was like once or twice. Now I can make it do it. My wife drives it 99.9% of the time
and babies it.

It has popped/missed once in awhile over the last year the same way as vid shows but that was like once or twice. Now I can make it do it. My wife drives it 99.9% of the time
and babies it.

As much as I like to see the valve seats fall into a cylinder and destroy things, I have to recommend having the wife and babies stop.

Pull the cover, and back off all of the rocker lash. See if the rockers pivot smoothly on the rocker shafts. These engines are known for damage to the shafts. It's really hard to check valve seats, and valves without removing the head. By hard, I mean impossible.

Changed the fuel filter and haven’t been able to get it to pop. I have a scan tool hooked to it. Sometimes at 75%-90% throttle rail pressure will only go up to 15k psi

Listen to Snedge since he has a lot more knowledge than me...

However, IF you decide to keep testing it, check the fuel pressure relief valve and make sure its doing its job correctly. I have also seen that if the Injector tubes weren't torqued correctly they will leak and create low fuel rail pressure.

So it’s cold out again. 13*f and I got it to pop a couple times . Only at 50%-60% pedal when I floor it the popping stops. If I put it to the floor or close to the floor there will be no popping, regular driving and no popping. The rockers checked out, the rail pressure goes up to 20-23k.

Is that how failing valve seats act ? Is there any other functions I can try and monitor while driving it to narrow down other possibilities?

What does it do when you're pulling somthing with it or have a good load on the engine? When you start the engine when it's cold does it smoke a lot and miss?
Will it act up when the engine is at any temperature or just operating temperature?
When you checked the rocker arms were any of them way out of adjustment?
Did it look like any valves were sticking up farther then the rest of them or any bent push rods?
The last experience I had with a bad valve set was more noticeable when the engine was cold and after it warmed up you couldn't really tell. I would think if the push rods are good and the valve lash is not way out of adjustment then that could ruled out as a possibility.

Back