Will delivery valves help the bottom end?

1BADRAM

Diesel Enthusiast
Just wondering if a set of 191's or something in that range will help the bottom end any. Just wanting a little extra to get the silver bullet going a little faster.

Don't think throwing more fuel at it will help it spool faster imho. What's your intake setup and what's your timing. I found 8psi this weekend taking off my 4510 amsoil bhaf setup vs. running nothing and notably faster spool. AFE stage 2 intake on the way to fix it. Also, too much timing hurts spool up on the street.

Also, too much timing hurts spool up on the street.

Any numbers to throw out as an example? Say 20 degrees timing will spool noticably slower than 16 degrees or would it take more like 25 degrees to notice the spooling getting worse? Just curious...

Timing is suppose to be set at 22* I'm running a K&N filter, I believe it's model 0880. Maybe should set it at around 18*

I'v run 27 degrees which was a very slow spool on the street with a 65mm turbine hp66 from turbonetics. Run 23.5 which was not quite as slow, even with the 68mm turbine turbonetics t66 now on the truck. now run 20 degrees and it spools much better but also switched up the AFC foot tuning (ground the barrel and left the foot's face alone this time around in my current 887 pump).

Timing is suppose to be set at 22* I'm running a K&N filter, I believe it's model 0880. Maybe should set it at around 18*

For sharts and gaggles take the bhaf setup off the truck, drive down the road giving it lots of pedal, and see if there's a substantial difference. I'd think 22 degrees is just fine.

Really don't want to take off the K&N, fraid something would kick up rock or somethiing and go through the turbo.

That's certainly a possibility. I have a long stretch of road by my house where I just pulled in my driveway, removed the intake, and then went for a quick run and turn around for fear of that or something similar happening. It's up to you, if you think something like that would happen definitely don't do it as that would not be cheap

K&N is about as bad as nothing.

:umno:

My K&N keeps my intake and turbo plenty clean. I have the same filter he does. RE-0880 and i also have a K&N prefilter over it. Any other oiled filter will be about the same as a K&N.

I had 22* timing once and it was awesome on the street, the turbo did spool a little slower than before but the topend was awesome.

I also run a K&N which hasn't given me any problems yet, I don't know the part # but the bee-otch is 14" long and about 6.5" around at the base. Going to give it a good washin' tommorrow in some gasoline probably lol.

some window screen and a band clamp or 2 will keep out the rocks and junebugs for temporary testing.

driving on a paved road and having a hood and fenders on the truck will keep the rocks/junebugs out

This is very true. I was more worried about some strange tool popping up from under the hood which I always seem to find lol. Guess i've spent too much time under the hood of this thing:bang

This is very true. I was more worried about some strange tool popping up from under the hood which I always seem to find lol. Guess i've spent too much time under the hood of this thing:bang

This is a bad thing why?:evil

Hell every cummins I own has a K&N filter on it ,, Both my trucka and my motorhome ,, no problems at all ..

As far as delivery valves ,, my plow truck has nothing but a #10 plate and 191 delivery valves ,, I noticed a little more of a hit at the low end and mid ,, Im using stock injectors though 175's I think .. anyway I was happy !!

I been thinking about going with a set from DDP's, I think they called them .042"s. Anyone have a used set of these they want to get rid of?

Back