Will they be next to be shut down...

I'm kinda worried that if they smash Exergy and S&S, the common rail crew will be really hosed. It's not like you can DIY those on yer drill press....they're critical must-purchase parts for virtually everyone.

Could the gubbermint patch together an argument that a 250% CR injector is illegal to sell, because in their minds, it would only serve one purpose?

Discuss.

Since you mentioned it and they can see this...probably troll CompD daily, they now have that idea.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mr. Brent Ruminski, Energy Engineer with ERG and

a member of the investigation team, explains that operating the Subject Components in any of

the available “DPF Off” modes will result in the vehicle exceeding the regulatory emissions

standards for PM and NOx, as such modes disable and allow the removal of emissions control

equipment. Statement ¶ 6 and Att. 2 ¶¶ 27, 30. He also explains that operating the Subject

Components in any of the “DPF On” modes could have an adverse impact on vehicle emissions,

resulting in excess emissions of one or more regulated pollutants as compared with emissions

from the same vehicle operated in the original condition specified by the manufacturer without

the Subject Component installed. The reason for this is that even in the “DPF On” mode, the

Subject Component changes the fueling strategy and other engine parameters that are critical

elements of design relied upon by manufacturers to, among other things, control emissions.
How does this satisfy reasonable doubt?
Where is the evidence that the system didn't have the capacity to operate with additional fuel consumption, and that it was outside operating parameters set by Ford? It states in the document that spartan did no testing to establish compliance, but where is the evidence the engine was not compliant.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

And beyond that, the epa would have to supply a completely virgin vehicle directly from the manufacturer, test and provide evidence. "I think so" is not admisable in court.

I glanced through it kinda quick but found it interesting that Hartl had to train their State Police. It would appear EPA is wiping out the large companies and leaving it up to local law enforcement to clean the streets.

I glanced through it kinda quick but found it interesting that Hartl had to train their State Police. It would appear EPA is wiping out the large companies and leaving it up to local law enforcement to clean the streets.

A friend of mine told me that in some unrelated DOT paperwork recently there was a extra letter basically saying DOT officers are going to start spot checking for emissions equipment. about to be a wholeeeeeee lotta people dropping money on reinstalling this stuff.

Wonder how much emissions is put out by idling police cruisers?

I can just see it. Pulling through a weigh station where the dot comes out and does what ever they need too and determines you are not in compliance. What would happen if you said. Um what I bought it this way. Can you please tell me what's wrong and I'll be more than glad to fix it. The responses would be classic.

Then I would probably blow it and say so it's kind of like donuts and your arteries, is what your wanting me to do to my engine.

And beyond that, the epa would have to supply a completely virgin vehicle directly from the manufacturer, test and provide evidence. "I think so" is not admisable in court.

With all due respect, read the report for Spartan.

Ford provided a vehicle. It was baselined twice as is from Ford on the EPA 75 and US06 test cycles.

They then loaded the 120 HP emissions intact tuning, and measured emissions again. It failed.

The 200 HP race tune was then loaded on to the ECM, with the addition of an exhaust race pipe, emissions were 3000% over the standard.

FWIW, a single emissions "run" is worth about $20k.

The report went on to state that the base engine tuning is what is changed by Spartan. The drivability, emissions and diagnostics portion of the calibration sets were not modified.

Last edited:
A friend of mine told me that in some unrelated DOT paperwork recently there was a extra letter basically saying DOT officers are going to start spot checking for emissions equipment. about to be a wholeeeeeee lotta people dropping money on reinstalling this stuff.

I don't know if that is anything new. I haven't been through a commercial vehicle inspection in a while, but the last time I was the AZ DOT looked for everything, including emissions equipment. I was there for 3 hours, only walked away with a fine for not having a permit through driving through the state (I15 from Vegas to St. George).

Was it just a visual on emissions equipment or did they have other means of checking.

Some want to see a forced regen. I've said it for the last year. I wouldn't phuk with deleting things anymore. It is worth learning how to fix the stuff.

Some want to see a forced regen. I've said it for the last year. I wouldn't phuk with deleting things anymore. It is worth learning how to fix the stuff.

The Nissan Titan would automatically regen every 200ish miles. That's 300miles faster than my old 2009 6.7l stock would which would regen every 500ish.

Since you mentioned it and they can see this...probably troll CompD daily, they now have that idea.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I see your point, didnt have my tinfoil hat on tight enough when I wrote that.

What's everyone's thoughts on it stopping with diesel performance or spreading in to the gas world as well.

With all due respect, read the report for Spartan.

Ford provided a vehicle. It was baselined twice as is from Ford on the EPA 75 and US06 test cycles.

They then loaded the 120 HP emissions intact tuning, and measured emissions again. It failed.

The 200 HP race tune was then loaded on to the ECM, with the addition of an exhaust race pipe, emissions were 3000% over the standard.

FWIW, a single emissions "run" is worth about $20k.

The report went on to state that the base engine tuning is what is changed by Spartan. The drivability, emissions and diagnostics portion of the calibration sets were not modified.
I didn't take the time to read it in depth. I've been training on keeping legal engines on the highway and haven't had time. ?

Atleast I vaguely knew what they would have to satisfy.

I've said it for the last year. I wouldn't phuk with deleting things anymore. It is worth learning how to fix the stuff.

You're absolutely right...

The problem is... Many things.

1. Diesels went from minimal emissions/ opacity tests to new technology execution over a short period of time. When the emissions technologies were first applied, a chit ton of problems occurred. The gas world has about 40 years more of experience over the diesel world.

2. The problem is availability and cost. It is easy to delete a truck. If the owner wants to stay emissions intact, the cost of the replacement parts is outlandish and where many get in a bind. $5k for a new SCR and DPF is a little over twice the delete cost.

3. The OEM's and dealerships have done the diesel truck crowd no favors. Most dealerships don't have Cummins/ Duramax/ Scorpion specific mechanics. So, when an issue occurs, a mechanic with little knowledge or training is left with trying to fix the issue by throwing parts at it.

The best way for the EPA to curb the issue that is occurring is to lean on the OEM's to make the emissions hardware cheaper for replacement and to train up their mechanics to better handle diesel emissions work.

Has there been any studies or tests with fuel quality and what effects it has on emissions?

Back