Windshield wipers going haywire on 06 megacab

cerickson

fullpull108
Fixing little issues we have been having with the wife's 06 3500 megacab. The truck only has 138k miles on it. The wipers started going haywire when you turn them on. If you turn on the intermittent on the lowest setting it will just keep going. Then it will start working at the correct speed. If you shut them off. They will keep going till they feel they are good and ready to turn off. Usually in the middle of the windshield.

I replaced the multifunction switch hoping it would correct the problem. To no avail. Thing still going crazy at whatever speed it wants to. It will however never stop wiping unless you turn the switch to the off position. This has got me baffled. Hoping someone else has had similar issues and could enlighten me on what they did to fix the problem.

Any and all help or opinions greatly appreciated.

Friends dad had the same issue on his 04.5, it was the multifunction switch.

My 05 does the same thing just not as often as you described. I’m just glad they wipe. I’ve yet to change the switch.

Is there any electronic mounted under or near them in the cowl that could have taken on water? I've never even looked at how the wipers are set up since I've never had issues.

Is there any electronic mounted under or near them in the cowl that could have taken on water? I've never even looked at how the wipers are set up since I've never had issues.

Looks like there is a wire loom running under the hood, just beneath the wipers.

It's usually the motor itself that goes bad, that I have seen.
There's constant power when the key switch is on, to allow them to "park".
Sometimes the components get goofed up in the motors and they won't park, or park wrong.
This is why you shouldn't try to run them when they are froze to the windshield.

Mark.

I pulled the new switch out and am taking it back. Since that's not the problem. Stuck the old switch back in. Cycled the wipers and the worked fine for a few cycles. Then right back to going batsh@t crazy.

Mark I'm going to try the motor next. Is there any way to tell if they are bad. Or is it just replace and keep your fingers crossed it fixes it?

Used stuff, you never know what you are getting, unless you test it beforehand.
If someone has forced the wipers to move, by hand, it can mess them up inside.
I've seen people change wiper blades by pulling the wiper to mid-stroke to change them, when they should just turn them on, wait until they get to a position they can access them, then kill the ignition.

Keep in mind, it's easier to change the motor out, if you take the whole linkage assembly out, then remove the motor from the assembly.

The worst part of the job is getting the wiper arms off, so you can remove the cowl cover.

Mark.

Another question Mark. I posted in the wrong section. I had a question in the 98-02 section about the same 06. On the passenger side below the battery I had a mouse chew a couple wires that looks to go to a solenoid. The wires were brown yellow and a black wire. Would you happen to know what they run?

Possibly to the grid heater solenoid mounted to the battery tray?

Mark.

Didnt know what it was. Fixed it yesterday afternoon. It didnt effect truck in any way. But figured it would come around some time in bite me in the butt. Thanks for all the help Mark.

Took multifunction switch back and will have to wait to do the wiper motor for 2 weeks when I get back home. Hope it fixes my issues.

My wipers did this same thing when the ac blower resistor was going bad. It caused alot of weird electric issues and all went away when replaced.

So talking with the wife lastnight. She also told me her radio control buttons on the back of her steering wheel are also acting up. Will check the resistor when I get back home.

Back