Winter front grill covers

joeservo

anyone know if anyone sells a custom winter grill cover for the 98-02 trucks? Fia makes a universal, but i was hoping for a custom fit.

thanks

Are you looking for a fabric-type cover or somethink like Lund's snap-in grille plates?

if you want a cheap way just get or find an old ruber mud flap off a big truck (if you have access to one) or buy one

Just cut a sheet of cardboard and slide it between the intercooler and radiator.....thats what I did. Just make sure you cut a 10" hole in the middle, you do want some air....LOL

JFlagg said:
Just cut a sheet of cardboard and slide it between the intercooler and radiator.....thats what I did. Just make sure you cut a 10" hole in the middle, you do want some air....LOL

i heard that is not the correct way to go. better to block the grill, that way there is still air that can get sucked in if the fan kicks on.

Garrett

joeservo said:
cabelas said they were on 6week back order. how can they be on back order in the winter? thats like mcdonalds running out of hamburgers at lunch.

I was in the process of ordering and noticed the same thing for the Fords, it does seem a little unprepared to be out of them this time of the year! Shoot by the time they'd ship it, the worst of winter could be over!

SSpeeDEMONSS said:
i heard that is not the correct way to go. better to block the grill, that way there is still air that can get sucked in if the fan kicks on.

Garrett
Hence the hole in the middle.....:poke:
:hehe:

JFlagg said:
This is what I've been using since I bought the truck back in 2000. No problem so far. I can even get a couple of seasons out of 1 piece of cardboard. Talk about cheap!

-Jay

JGK said:
This is what I've been using since I bought the truck back in 2000. No problem so far. I can even get a couple of seasons out of 1 piece of cardboard. Talk about cheap!

-Jay
Me too! Though, I went fancy this season....I grooved it down the center so it folds real flat so it fits under the back seat better. I also duct taped the outer edge and around the hole then spraypainted it to waterproof it to a degree....should get a year or three out of it now:rockwoot: Might include it if I sell the truck....:hehe:

SSpeeDEMONSS said:
Thats a good little read, but I disagree with some of his points....First, if cold air blowing on the fan clutch kept it from locking up, it wouldn't lockup without the cardboard either. And anyway, thats not how the clutch works. The clutch engages when the engine temp reaches a set point.... Second, if your cardboard stays dry it won't get "pushed" into the fins. Third, if the weather is cold enough that you need a winter front, you sure aren't going to worry about overheating just because you covered up 50-75% of your radiator. Only possibility is if you are hauling heavy and going slow enough that your not getting a sufficient amount of air across the area of the radiator that is exposed.....But this can be argued from both sides because everyone is entitled to their own opinions, my opinion is my cardboard has worked good for 4-5 years, so no reason for me to stop now.$.02

Back