Won't idle down

ENafziger

Quick question... What could cause the VE not to idle down? The idle screw is backed out all the way to the point that the arm doesn't even touch it. Nothing in the linkage appears to be binding/bent/broken/out of sorts. It's not terrible, but with the idle screw removed, the truck still idles at ~900 rpm.

I'm running a Raptor 150 set at 13 psi, M2 pin, M&H dynamic timing spacer, bumped 3/16", and fuel screw bottomed out. Shut off plunger is removed, and I used a push/pull cable for shut-off.

--Eric

Did you adjust the throttle linkage so that the arm backs off far enough to touch the idle screw?

You need to re index the throttle shaft. I'm assuming this happened after you turned the pump up?

Yeah, turning your fuel screw up will make the truck idle higher. Sometimes it's too much for the factory indexing to compensate for. If you index it back a spline or so it'll get the idle down. Just be careful, those throttle shafts are touchy about how much their moved.

Mine's still out a turn since I don't feel like screwing with my indexing.

You need to re index the throttle shaft. I'm assuming this happened after you turned the pump up?

Yup, happened at the same time. I turned the pump up, it blew the plunger, and I've not been able to get it to idle down like it should.

Sometimes it's too much for the factory indexing to compensate for. If you index it back a spline or so it'll get the idle down. Just be careful, those throttle shafts are touchy about how much their moved.

That makes sense...

Thanks for the info!

--Eric

Last edited:
Back