won't stay running

6.0kingranch

No spark plugs
I have an 01 psd. Yesterday I was driving and it said 27 miles to empty when it died. I'm guessing it ran out of fuel as I have never ran it that low before. I can get it started with starting fluid but I won't stay running. It is getting fuel all the way up to the filter housing. could there be air in the lines. What can I do to fix it. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

usually with a diesel you have to crack open the injectors and bleed them when you run out of fuel to get all the air out of the system. that is what we have had to do on tractors and other diesels don't know much about the fords and their system but just a thought

usually with a diesel you have to crack open the injectors and bleed them when you run out of fuel to get all the air out of the system. that is what we have had to do on tractors and other diesels don't know much about the fords and their system but just a thought

Ya can't do that on a 7.3, It is a dead end fuel system in the heads and the only way to get the air out is to keep cranking and when it fires don't rev the pi$$ out of it or injector damage will occure from the needle smashing into the seat, and also no lubrication.

well got it going agian. Kept it running for a few minutes on the starter fluid. Then she idled rough for about 10 min till she cleared up.

I'm surprised you didn't blow the engine. I guess the engine was still warm enough at the time of cranking not to activate the glow plugs? Or did you disconnect the glow plug relay prior to spraying starter fluid?

Usually this is how it works: high compression + glow plugs + starter fluid = a big hole somewhere

Just a tip for the future, never use starter fluid again. If it's an absolute emergency, disconnect the glow plug relay. Still though, cross your fingers as the high diesel compression can still have some pretty serious pre-detonation with starter fluid.

can ether cause a big problem w/ a diesel? yes... it can

does it usually? no, it doesn't

be smart about it and there's nothing wrong w/ using ether on a diesel

Ive been told that the 7.3s have a self priming system. And that you are to cycle the key up to 20 times then try to crank it. Dont know how true. But ive ran out 2 times. First time was me finding out that my gauge is a bit off. And the second was me tryin to get everybit of my moneys worth out of that tank of fuel. Anyhow, ive done what i was told both times and ive only had to crank for about 20 seconds total and she fires. Runs rough for about 10 mins but then clears. And no never rev, or if possible drive, until its cleared.

Back