Working on that power-to-weight ratio....

JQmile

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Did 514 with some :nos: yesterday. Truck weight is about 5050 with driver and fuel, so when I hook the bottle heater up and see 600-700, then we'll be talkin' back to the strip.
:tree:

Still a VE pump (14mm H/R), no intercooler, and non-lockup 727 transmission.

what kind of revs are you turning?

It's kinda funny...my pump starts to defuel at like 2,600 and my converter starts to work pretty well around 3,000 rpm, so maybe somewhere inbetween there I can make some decent power.

Don't go blowing something up.

I'll try not to, but I have to get a ton of :nos: in a window of about a second and a half on the dyno, so unfortunatley stuff may happen.....the truck still kept picking up about 50 hp every time I changed jets, so it still could use some more nitrous. Just trying to set it up where it doesn't put the fire out and backfire.

It's kinda funny...my pump starts to defuel at like 2,600 and my converter starts to work pretty well around 3,000 rpm, so maybe somewhere inbetween there I can make some decent power.

Try draining half of your ATF and refilling with hydraulic tractor fluid like some John Deere Hy Gard. On my truck it tightened up the converter about 150-200 rpm when went 90% tractor and 10% ATF.

Try draining half of your ATF and refilling with hydraulic tractor fluid like some John Deere Hy Gard. On my truck it tightened up the converter about 150-200 rpm when went 90% tractor and 10% ATF.

What's the life expectancy with that?

Do you and your buddies ever just put normal fluids in your trucks?? Didn't you try nitro a while back mixed in with the diesel? :rockwoot:

Hydro oil is a Normal oil.... and it holds up a hell of a lot better than ATF. Kind of hard to read on the stick though

Do you and your buddies ever just put normal fluids in your trucks?? Didn't you try nitro a while back mixed in with the diesel? :rockwoot:

Yeah, I ran a little nitro methane through my 99' a few years ago.
Not such a wise decision but hey, I was mixing acetone into the fuel as well! If you're going to run your fuel that dry, might as well go for broke!

Hydraulic tractor fluid is the real deal, great price and better lube where you need it, better grip where you want it, better heat tolerance on those long boosted launches. The only downside is the fluid is a little thick for cold climates so you can't run it 100%. A 50-50 mix probably good for most places that 90% of the guys on here drive or live.

What's the life expectancy with that?

Most likely better than standard ATF. No worse for sure...

Tractor trans-hydraulic oil is just one of several "alternative" oils that the big power automatic guys run. Do a little searching and you might be surprised what you find.

The only downside is the fluid is a little thick for cold climates so you can't run it 100%. A 50-50 mix probably good for most places that 90% of the guys on here drive or live.

I've run the thick stuff 100% with a dacron filter and seen temps as cold as -40F. No problems. It isn't something I'd recommend, but I think most of the people saying it won't work in cold weather are just repeating what they've heard from others.

The converter will get tightened up a bit, but nothing crazy. Then again, we're not talking about usable RPM ranges that are nearly as large as what they see in gas motors either so it might be considered more of a drop in a diesel app.

Back