wow new turbo crazy boost!!!

powermad

trevor
so i had a 62/65/12 being fueled by a set of westons 5x.012 191dv ofv no plate slight star wheel cranked and all the other diy mods... i was hitting 38psi peak boost with the gate plugged. after installing a 66/74/.91 11 blad divided im getting 60pounds of boost and the truck rips like a bat out of helll! i have the fuel coming in around 25psi now so the truck runs really clean while daily driving but from half throttle on its like a flick of a switch instant insanity! now what confuses me is my old truck a 01 cummins with 250hp injectors edge drag and and h2o/meth i didnt get more then 5 psi difference in boost when going from a 62 to a 66. is this normal to gain soo much power on the 12 valves? not complaining just really surprised at the extreme power gain...

no i got the borg warner s366 part number 177284. daily driving it with a 5 speed is soo much nicer compared to my old truck 47re loose converter with a 66/74/14. i cant get over the gain in power. i wish i put it on the dyno before i put the turbo on and again after. out of every thing ive ever done to any of my cummins this turbo somehow gave me the largest power gain. i was not expecting to see such great results!

I'm going to guess the turbine has alot to do with your new found power. I never cared for my 62/65 and the boost it made

I loved the snappy spool up of the 62/65 but it needs a 475 under it in order to be really fun. im thinking about doing a blow off valve to stop the bark between shifts. i just dont know what one to go with. might be starting a new thread about that...

so i had a 62/65/12 being fueled by a set of westons 5x.012 191dv ofv no plate slight star wheel cranked and all the other diy mods... i was hitting 38psi peak boost with the gate plugged. after installing a 66/74/.91 11 blad divided im getting 60pounds of boost and the truck rips like a bat out of helll! i have the fuel coming in around 25psi now so the truck runs really clean while daily driving but from half throttle on its like a flick of a switch instant insanity! now what confuses me is my old truck a 01 cummins with 250hp injectors edge drag and and h2o/meth i didnt get more then 5 psi difference in boost when going from a 62 to a 66. is this normal to gain soo much power on the 12 valves? not complaining just really surprised at the extreme power gain...

Boost seems low on the 62....my 62/65/14 will make 60psi with the gate plugged.

the 62 was in great shape no shaft play the fins where in perfect shape. i had it plugged too.

Ive got my 62 gated to 45psi but supposedly you can run them at 50 just fine. 60psi I dunno what the DP and temps are like as you get up that high.

Last edited:
Glad to here you got such great results!!! I was looking into S300 frames for my truck, now Ill have to take a look at the 366.

I had similar results when making the same transition about 3 years back. Don't run a box t4 turbo I was told, haha. $600 chargers are sweet.

I'm running the adapter. It sure was a bich getting those studs out of the ats manifold.

able to peel the smile from your face yet? just be careful on damp nights, and impending boost.

Reason you didn't see the power gain with the vp truck is the fueling difference. My truck when it was a 6 speed ran best of a 13.47 with a so vp and a 64/71/.85 T3 than it did with the 66/74/.90 t3 which went 13.80's and went 14.0 with the t4 housing. They just don't fuel in the higher rpms that the bigger turbo needs like a p7100 does.

Back