WOW!!!!!

So what about block walk when it's under serious power, yep still moves around regardless of what you did before!

Jim

I remember reading an article in Hot Rod a few years ago where they did a similar test on a SBC. Bolting on the water pump moved the front 2 cylinders somewhere around 3-4 thousands, bolting on the oil pump moved the rear main cap 2-3 thousands, ect. Pretty crazy when your only talking 25 ft lbs of torque or less.

That's insane!!! So it seems like no matter hOw much you do to strengthen block and parts, it really is a small amount of insurance for alot of cash,,, ???

Thats why all the 3.0 and up trucks have the blocks filled to help stop that. Yea Bill its crazy how much things move when you start bolting accesories on. Some say you need to bolt and torque everything to the engine before honing because everything pulls the block in different directions

Last edited:
Have any of you watched your stock 12V valve cover, cover move and flex when the engine is running?

I think I could get it on video but you can see it by eye.

Please clarify bud, thanx

Kind of what Jeremy was talking about with the filled blocks ect, the vid is good and shows you what your really need to see, I'm a supporter of girdles and hone plates ect but they are not for everyone. The last motor I built has a girdle cause I had it already and it was one of the very first Haisley versions from 02' but I did not waist time nor money on a hone plate.........low cost 650 hp motor, nothing special.

I know that a SBC block will move allot more than our heavy block will but I heard a story some 25 years ago about a 650 hp SBC on the dyno and you could see the block walk.........the info maybe worth the price of admission but it makes you think.

Jim

Have any of you watched your stock 12V valve cover, cover move and flex when the engine is running?

I think I could get it on video but you can see it by eye.

probably just sliding on the rubber gaskets

Back