Wtf, Fca??

soturi

alright. another question from the n00b gallery:

is there a special, thin-bodied torx bit for the FCA bolts?? the part of the bit that fits over the drive on my ratchet (1/4") is so fat that it hits the body of the FCA and prevents solid engagement with the bolt head. i could muscle it out with a handheld torx driver, but i'm still going to need the bit to torque the bolts back down...:nail:

also - exactly how *necessary* are new FCA bolts for re-installation?

thanks much, fellas.

Someone makes a long one that's skinny all the way down....Garmon's got one...It's about 3-4 inches long....

I'll see if he can tell me where he got it.

alright. another question from the n00b gallery:

is there a special, thin-bodied torx bit for the FCA bolts?? the part of the bit that fits over the drive on my ratchet (1/4") is so fat that it hits the body of the FCA and prevents solid engagement with the bolt head. i could muscle it out with a handheld torx driver, but i'm still going to need the bit to torque the bolts back down...:nail:

also - exactly how *necessary* are new FCA bolts for re-installation?

thanks much, fellas.

"DO NOT" Tighten them back down real hard... I made this mistake and had a beeoch of a time getting them back off! I just snug them up good and leave em alone! And yes there is a thin torx bit you can get, ive got one thats about 4" long...

Since you have the FCA bolts out, why not match it up with another mounting bolt that uses a different head, other than a Torx?

Since you have the FCA bolts out, why not match it up with another mounting bolt that uses a different head, other than a Torx?

That is a dam good idea, the bottom inside is a b..tch. :clap:

fml. googled "long torx bit" based on y'all's input - these mf'ers aint cheap ($15 - $30 just for ONE), and this damn FCA is probably the only thing i'll ever use it on. i think i like this idea:

"match it up with another mounting bolt that uses a different head"

anybody out there have anything bad to say about non-standard FCA bolts??

I have always replaced the torx with allen head bolts, makes it much better.

I have always replaced the torx with allen head bolts, makes it much better.

Exactly what I do I bought 500 count box of allen head bolts them from fastenal and save myself the future headache.

Word. Glad I actually asked this on here. Y'all know the bolt size and thread pitch on these, offhand? It'd be hard to take them out and then drive to the hardware store to compare...

yeah swap out the factory torx bolts with allen headed ones. You wont have any problems.

I'd rather buy the proper socket to remove the torx screws than replace the screws, atleast that way you have the right tool if you ever want to work on a truck other than your own. $.02

I have the right tool, it just that torx head anything is junk.

Torx resists cam-out better... but my tool is long enough to take care of business. :thankyou2:

what size torx bit is required? i'm fixin to install a bag of parts on my trk.
thx

You can get torx screw drivers that have a hex under the handle that allows you to use a wrench.

hm. good idea. i'll have too look for a 1/4-drive t25 socket. i bought mine as a set, so the t25 is a 3/8-drive.

...and i bought the whole damn set for that one f'king socket. FML.

Back