Yes I'm a "Clutch Traitor".

mech2161

I have a secret.
Before the gossip and rumors start flying, yes I bought a Valair clutch. I have been a die hard SB user from the first clutch. Jamie, Dan and the guys at Valair treated me very well on a rebuild.

I don't want this in any way to become a bash fest. It was my decision to try something different. Different is what I got. I had them rebuild my clutch with sintered iron disc's and a 3600 diaphragm pressure plate. Not what Dan would recommend but what I wanted.

It is in and getting some miles on it before I hook it this weekend. I have to say I've never had a clutch feel this way. Don't know if it's the disc's making the difference or how they set up the pressure plate. From the first start there is no issue with it going in gear. The pedal is soft at the top, and releases at about 3/4 the way down. It's not stiff all the way down and pressure doesn't stack up as you press the pedal. The unsprung disc's are smooth on the street.

I'll update this as often as I can. It's close to the end of pulling season so I don't know how many hooks I can get.

I dont really think you can go wrong with either, They may do things differently than each other, but they achieve the same results.

I got one of there clutches also and very happy with it even though my frist clutch ive ever bought and got prices from lots of others but they were the first to get back to me and answer all questions

I have had south bend clutches in two of my trucks, and so far I love them. But I wont rule out valair when it is time for a new clutch.

I've been thinking about having my old 3250 rebuilt w/ sintered iron ya wouldn't shoot me a pm with about how much I cost

I'm running Dan's street triple and love it not sure when I'll get to pull with it but so far its sweet, smooth, and quite and so far holding the power on the street.

Glad you like it Kevin! It will take a while to get used to the sintered discs. I'm still surprised at how my clutch feels and mine is well broken in now. I never thought a 3850 iron Giant with sintered discs would be such a great street clutch, but I'm loving it. I like dealing with both SB & Valair, both companies have earned my respect. They both stand behind the product and they both build great clutches. Enjoy it bud.:Cheer:

I think it's JD....not Jamie. LOL But I'mma call him that when I see him. LOL Glad you like it so far Kevin.

I think it's JD....not Jamie. LOL But I'mma call him that when I see him. LOL Glad you like it so far Kevin.

I think Kevin was reffering to Jamie or "cummins724" lol, he doesnt know JD, besides JD is the guy that got his ass jumped over this deal.

i have delt with both of them, received good service from both.

but i am a real clutch traitor, i have auto's now

Was the south bend a diaphragm?

Yes, I've tried the Borg & Beck with no luck at all.

Dan the street twin came with a flier stating the .050 crank spacer must be used... No spacer in the box. It came with a starter spacer but no warning flier for it. I know it didn't ship on a Monday.

Yup, I don't know about that one, but unless it originally came with a shim behind it you wouldnt need it. have you not seen all the add's I have been running about wanting good help, you would think all the 19 employees at my shop there would see it and wonder what that means. lol. We have some very good employee's but also we have grown at a rapid pace. We are located in the boonies, that doesn't help for sure. and you would only need the starter spacer if your starter wasn't lining up. Beleive me when I say everyone at my shop is aware of your situation.

Back