ZF 6 Trans Problems

Cumminsguy94

Just wondering how well zf6 transmissions have been holding up in 2.6 trucks, what things should be upgraded, what some common failures have been, and how many hooks you may have the trans between failures. Any input is appreciated.

5th is 1 to 1 than and wat would I all have 2 do to? would it bolt up different bell housing ect.. and how much longer is it than a 4500 and which clutch would it accept

The zf6 uses a 1 3/8 inch input shaft, a nv5600 clutch will slide right on. I'm unsure of exact size differences but the zf is definitely a physically larger trans than the 4500. It may not even fit in the dodge trans tunnel without modifying the floor inside the cab.

The reason I say it might not fit is because a zf will not fit in the trans tunnel of an automatic Ford truck but a nv4500 will. I'm unsure of the size of the dodge trans tunnel but its something to be aware of.

The 6.0 and 6.4 ZF6 both have the 1-3/8 input shaft where at the 7.3 ZF6 has a 1-1/4 input shaft. The name of the ZF in the 6.0/6.4 is the ZF 6S-750 where as the 7.3 ZF is the ZF S6-650.

The ZF 6S-750 has a different bell housing, Destroked makes adapter plates for both. This version also has a larger main shaft with the output shaft being a 34 spline along with the 1-3/8 input that was already mentioned.

I have the above transmission that will soon be in my Dodge, and I took a rough measure and the ZF is approximately 12 inches longer than the 47RE, so A LOT longer than the NV4500.

I am pretty sure the pilot bearing will need to be changed as well vs. the nv5600 clutch.

Output shaft will be the first thing to break. Guys cryo treat them to remedy it. Mines cryoed and 0 problems here.

Back