ZF6 swap in a Dodge?

GLHS

Can it be done?
Im kicking this idea around.
Advantages; second and third are straight across from each other, overdrive is .72 and a rebuild is about $1000 less than a G56.
Disadvantages; initial investment for $800 Destroked adapter among other conversion pieces, (slave cylinder, transmission mount, starter, transfer case coupler), and you now have Ford stuff in your Dodge.

NV4500s and late model G56 (07.5+) transmissions have a .74 overdrive.
Early G56 have .79 overdrive.
The NV5600 is .73 overdrive.

A GM ZF6 will not fit over a Cummins flywheel from what I understand.

ZF6s found in 6.0 Powerstrokes have a higher spline count on the output and are rated for a few more lbs of torque.

Thoughts?

:woohoo: on ford trannys, :banned: on dodge trannys.

LOL I'm sure I'll catch grief over that one.

Sorrry, I don't have too much to say about this one, it's really a matter of preference as to what tranny you choose. I don't think a swap could be justified. The overdrive ratios aren't enough to worry about and the strength isn't much of an issue between them until the hp gets real high. Once it gets too high, they will all break sooner or later. I'd say the g56 is the wimpiest of them all.$.02

I have thought of this also...I currently have the G56 in mine and will probably eventually swap to an NV5600 but would much rather have a ZF6. I had a 03 duramax with a ZF6 and it shifted so nice..and shifted fast too!!!

The worlds fastest manual tranny diesel truck has a ZF6 in it...

I was down at Industrial Injection a couple weeks ago and they had an 05 Dodge on the lift getting twins put on. It had a ZF6 swapped in it. They told me that and I was like WTF??

Maybe give them a call. I dont know if they did the swap, but theyd know whos truck it was. Was a red 05 on 37s and black rims

ZF6 kicks a NV's ass.

The biggest problem I see is getting the hydraulics to mount up.

I have read the GMs shift better than Fords due to a modification GM did to the shifter bushing around 04?

Don't know if this is true but if it is, maybe a GM shifter will fit into a Ford tranny if, that is where the modification was done and not something machined from the case.

Just hearing stories how expensive the G56 and NV5600 are to rebuild is why I think this might be feasable.

Do the ZF6s have a better reputation than the others mentioned above?

The .72 overdrive would drop cruise rpm of a later G56 by about 50-75. If from an early G56, would be closer to 200.

I had a ZF6 in a '99 Ford. That thing did not shift well at all, plus the gear spacing was terrible compared to the G56 in my current truck. I would love the taller OD gear, but that would be the only advantage in my opinion.

The ZF6 (Ford app) has some plastic bushings in the shifter mechanism that wear and cause sloppy shifts.

I can see doing a GM trans swap cheaper using a OEM cummins plate. From what I have read the GM version had no oil pump/cooler which makes it less suitable for heavy towing.

Probably just need to swap the slave and bleed it out. I will look at the core ZF6 I have tomorrow. As for the swap, I don't really know what to say. I hated the Ford version of the ZF6 with the shift pattern and all of them I drove shifted like crap, but we have only seen like 3 of them. 3 point turns were an adventure. . . . . . . .

You guys don't make the Ford versions sound too good when it comes to shifting.

So how would I get a GM version to work?

We have an 01 450 at work with a ZF6 and theres no way id swap that thing in it shifts terrible but im sure with 200k on it its well worn out

Im wondering the same thing i have a GM ZF6 out of a Gm that i want to put behind my cummins 12v. I talked to South Bend Clutch to find a clutch to use and They need the measurement from the crankshaft face to the through out bearing. Because the Gm ZF uses a internal slave :doh: and need to know how much the through on it is. The bolt pattern of The GM Zf 6 is the same as the 700r4 4l60 4l80 T400 Ect all chevy are the same. I know this tranny dose not have the oil pump like the ford but dose shift much better then the ford. Tranny is strong internaly but the case on any ZF tranny is the week point. I hope to complete this swap soon. I will try and get some pics to share with every one. If any one else is doing this or has done this and could chime in. It seems like all these posts are about Fords better Gms :bif: Better Hope fully we can find out some real tech and startbuilding the best diesel are selfs. :pop:

I now have a G56 on the garage floor.
Decided to weigh it and is 198 lbs. without the shifter.

Weighed my Getrag and it is 181 lbs. with no shifter.
With the bell housing it is 203 lbs.

I did not know this G56 was so light.

Back