zfaylors old man truck build

not sure if you did or not but preheat helps a ton for welding on those vbands. and it looks better than my welds! LOL

Yessir. Definitely pre heated. Cleaned about a thousand times with acetone and a wire brush as well. The crap in the pores of the cast would only pop up every inch or so and rain on my parade. Just had to be patient and clean it up and keep trucking. I cannot wait to weld on steel again with the tig. I have been doing a lot of aluminum and stainless bolt extractions lately. It is getting old LOL

To zfaylor I may have missed it but I noticed the steel wheels you bought back on page 1 or 2 were 15" did you have to modify anything w the brakes to make those fit?

To zfaylor I may have missed it but I noticed the steel wheels you bought back on page 1 or 2 were 15" did you have to modify anything w the brakes to make those fit?

The drums had to have the fins shaved down some. I compared the late model 2nd gen drums at the parts store hoping they would work since they lack the fins but they didn't appear as though they would work unfortunately. I will either have new drums machined or upgrade to a larger rim depending on how things go later down the road. The junker didn't seem to get along with those used road slicks very well so I doubt I stick to them but we shall see. I am not after any crazy numbers. I would love to make this an 11 second truck I can hop in an beat on whenever without wrenching on it all week.

Been a long while since I updated but the truck hasn't ran in 5 months so I haven't worked on it a pile. I decided I should probably get something on it so it can run at least. I had an s475 (171702) borg sitting in my cores with a bad compressor wheel. Went ahead and rebuilt it with a 360 thrust and a 6 blade billet wheel. It has been sitting so it is going next to a stock hx35 for a small compound setup. Realistically want to be in the 500-550 range as I will have plenty of traction issues even at that level. Later I will upgrade the manifold turbo to a 62mm s300 of some flavor.

I got the manifold done. That was a complete pain in the azz to be honest. It fits nicely. There is a slight clearance issue with the oil feed so I will come out of the filter housing with a 90* fitting to correct that most likely. My neighbor does powdercoating and cerakote so the manifold will get coated and wrapped to keep the heat away as much as possible.

E602B42D-8780-4B56-AC5C-59FDF8EA6008_zpsaqrizb16.jpg

The girlfriend wanted to hydro dip some stuff for her truck so we tested it on my compressor covers first as they could be blasted. Yes they are slightly limp wristed but I kind of like them to be honest so they will stay for now until they are covered in oil and look like complete chit LOL

D20481B5-B236-4CA0-B982-0F4093E72BFA_zpsjhy4cztg.jpg

The manifold is a straight flange and I like how the compounds are going to fit with it this way. Just a stock run of the mill hx35 on the manifold for now. It was quite pitted o the housing so why not use it on my truck and get the thing running right?

CBB70CF0-81CB-4F4F-AD88-150C7AE6E9C8_zpsoe9myzsy.jpg

Now to re order all of my flanges and piping to build the compounds as I used them on a customers concrete truck since they were already here LOL

This is where I stand. I still need to order a new hood, build the compounds, and more than likely add an e-gate to keep the hx35 happy. I was getting away from my plan with the ht4b in compounds and want to get back on track to a quick spooling fun street truck I can run decent times at the track with.

thanks guys. Glad I'm not the only one who likes the covers. I got it running again today for the first time in 5 months so I can move the darn thing out of the way. Now to wait on flanges and piping so I can get this thing back on the road once the snow is off.

727063B6-E14B-46D1-AF70-31D033137CE2_zpsatnhhdqu.jpg

Getting to the point of actually moving now. Just need to make oil lines and I can take it for a no hood drive before checking if a hood will actually fit. It is going to be closer than I would have liked but according to my rough checking it should clear.

Got this thing on the road this past weekend. I still need to pull it all back apart and paint some piping and finish the exhaust but for now I have a hillbilly exhaust.

D07D9E39-F73B-4C9C-A9AD-CB2528B5AB92_zpso4zy7iu8.jpg

This thing is a monster. The spring gate has very little tension on it on the hx as I want to add my interstage boost gauge and a drive pressure gauge before I start messing with it. Even with the gate extremely weak it spools hard. The 6 blade 75 comes in quick. Only took it to 30 psi and these crap SUV tires already hate its guts. Very pleased with the setup. It was exactly what I was after.

Time for some mud tires and some decent slicks for dirt drags/drags this summer. The warm weather is coming!

Back