Votes: 61 40.7%
  • 5th low for the 5600s

Votes: 18 12.0%
  • 2nd hi

Votes: 30 20.0%

• Total voters

wildmanben

Farmboy...
So yeah, what gear do you nv4500 and nv5600 guys pulling in? I have been doing good in 4th low, but 3rd low doesnt put enough load on the truck. But it works sometimes...

I voted 4th low because most tracks have been sticky. I ran 2nd high this past weekend on a very loose track and did well (325 ft). 3.55s, 315 A/T tires, 6 spd.

I generally go with 5th low which is a little faster than 2nd hi on my NV5600. I use 2nd hi for sticky tracks. Been working out well with my gearing and tire setup.

wildmanben said:
So yeah, what gear do you nv4500 and nv5600 guys pulling in? I have been doing good in 4th low, but 3rd low doesnt put enough load on the truck. But it works sometimes...
What gears and tire size are you running? I've been pulling in 3rd low with 3.55's and 31" tires and it seems to be ok but the next gear up looks like it would be to big of a jump.

Last edited:
with my zf..4th low.. which with 32" tires puts it at around 25mph at 3500rpm

just a little info from the "other side"

For the N4500 guys its alot harder to get the wright ratio ether yr to hi or low when running a 33in or less tire , I put 315s on mine and that helped alot pulling in 3rd low decent midway speed (more if i had a redline) but at the end it hasnt choked yet with the big tires but trac conditons play apart too.. Haislys said a 15+ final is good , mine is around 14.30 and I'm happy with it

I usually go 5th on the high side on my NV4500, but that's cause I'm so cool and reckless and the chicks like it...

Or maybe I pull 2nd on the high side for loose stuff and 3rd on the low for tight tracks. I'll let you decide.

Blackbumper said:
What gears and tire size are you running? I've been pulling in 3rd low with 3.55's and 31" tires and it seems to be ok but the next gear up looks like it would be to big of a jump.

3.55 gears and a 33" tire

So what kind of RPM are you guys turning when running 5th low in your 6-speeds? Can I asume that most have 24valves that max out at 4000rpm and the reason your running those gears is for wheel speed?

I am running a NV5600 with my fully built 12valve running around 5K and feel comfortable with 4th low because I have some decent rpm and will keep the carnage down a little...Anyone agree with this or should I try direct gear once and see how it goes???

RyanB

wildmanben said:
3.55 gears and a 33" tire

Are you still running the 5 spd? If so that is some major wheel speed assuming you are running around 4g that would be close to 40mph what tire are you running?

max6gear said:
with my zf..4th low.. which with 32" tires puts it at around 25mph at 3500rpm

just a little info from the "other side"

Same here 4th low tight tracks 2nd high loose tracks. In the ZF6 5th gear is one to one.

When I finally get the engine back in I hoping for 2nd high tight tracks and 5th low loose track with 4000rpm down track. We ill see.:bang

Blackbumper said:
Are you still running the 5 spd? If so that is some major wheel speed assuming you are running around 4g that would be close to 40mph what tire are you running?

Yeah I am still running the 5 sp. Heres the gear and mph chart:
3rd lo 22mph
2nd hi 33mph
4th lo 37 mph
This is at 4000 rpm. Is 37 too fast?

JOHNBOY said:
Same here 4th low tight tracks 2nd high loose tracks. In the ZF6 5th gear is one to one.

When I finally get the engine back in I hoping for 2nd high tight tracks and 5th low loose track with 4000rpm down track. We ill see.:bang

Are you going by accual #'s on the shifter or overall gear selection? The highest # on mine is 5 wich is over drive and 4 is one to one. I have been runnin 1 hi range but hits rev limiter too quick so I am gonna go to 4 lo and see how I do.

being fast doesnt have to b power wright gear ratios and tires plays alot more , if you over power the trac then you need more seat time , big difference in speed and spinning

I was going by the numbers on the stick.

1 Granny gear
2 Regular 1st gear
5 1:1
6 overdrive

bdp said:
Are you going by accual #'s on the shifter or overall gear selection? The highest # on mine is 5 wich is over drive and 4 is one to one. I have been runnin 1 hi range but hits rev limiter too quick so I am gonna go to 4 lo and see how I do.

Back