I believe the fastest LIL Red Express in the world is now a diesel

Very nice work! You guys are getting it done like.... last year! Hopefully you'll get it to hook even better than before!

Some from today... Its nice having a boss that wants his truck rebuilt :D

LilredRebuild8.jpg

These Freeze plugs from Haisley Machine are a very nice piece. The front one would not work since we are still running accessories so we have the serpentine setup up front.
LilRedRebuild9.jpg

I was surprised it took us what 3 hours to pull the motor and tranny 45 minutes of it was cleaning up tranny fluid that spilled everywhere.

I am excited about the outcome we are going to get but If I had a choice it would be not to restore and paint the truck now, flat out bad timing. I also cant stare at it in pieces either.

I was surprised it took us what 3 hours to pull the motor and tranny 45 minutes of it was cleaning up tranny fluid that spilled everywhere.

I am excited about the outcome we are going to get but If I had a choice it would be not to restore and paint the truck now, flat out bad timing. I also cant stare at it in pieces either.

I know what you mean about seeing it in pieces, When i herd she hit the wall i had a moment of silence. I am so glad everyone is ok. George is a awesome guy and I know he built that truck rite and with a lot of love!!!

For anyone following the update, here it is with the new steel fenders and core support. All fully removable with a couple bolts near the door and the front end and bumper slide off as if a one piece.

LilRedRebuild10.jpg

Lilredrebuild11.jpg

it's smog exempt, so it's not like inspection is really tough...

and antique plates is a loophole that can bite you in the rear if you're not careful

how much weight do you think you are adding doing this, and a few details on how you are making it work, lift off and all, very Nice!!!

why dont you run antiqe plates? that way you can skip inspection.

We were told that antique plates can only be driven X amount of miles a year and to car shows/ parades etc. Since the truck is pretty much daily driven didn't want to get into how much it was driven. We were going to go with classic tags for 78 but they had to be made and sent from Austin and we were headed to the Texas Diesel Shootout that day and wanted to be "Street Legal" right then. They said we could come back and order the classics but once we bolted the new Texas tag on we kinda like the way it looked being a texas race truck, lol

I have not put the front end on a scale but comparing it with the one piece that was on the truck, without the hood the front ends are about the same, so we are guessing that we are adding about the weight of the fiberglass hood. Basically the only thing I did was trim the core support out to fit the intercooler and then built a slider system (smaller tube slide inside a bigger tube) off the bottom of the core support to keep the core support from moving side to side. When the fenders are bolted to the cab that holds the core support from moving front to back. Then attached the bumper to the core support to make it "one piece" other wise the bumper would of had to be removed before trying to remove the front end.

it's smog exempt, so it's not like inspection is really tough...

and antique plates is a loophole that can bite you in the rear if you're not careful

my 89 isnt old enough for antique plates and is smog exempt, so i still hafta get it inspected. there is only one place in town that will pass it, everywhere else fails on exhaust (no muffler and too loud), and opacity (hazes at idle).

i have antique plates on my 37 binder and my 67 squareback, i drive my squareback everyday to work 15-20k a year and have never been hassled.$.02

cool, just don't get into an accident with it and have your ins deny liability! :)

yeah i keep that prepaired, i carry full coverage on everything i drive plus collectors insurance on the things that have more value then the ins co would pay.. collectors ins on the the 67 is covered for 15k and costs me $104 a year :rockwoot:

alot of people misuse collectors insurance tho, buddy of mine has a LSx fomula and had a nitrous burp, they covered the repairs, i think he had coverage to 50k.

anyhow back on topic, keep the pics commin as you get her back together!

I weighed the fenders and they were 20lbs each. With no inner fenders and a core support that has the entire center section cut out, we are not adding much weight. Maybe at the end I guess would be 50- 75LBS. Truck is off to the body shop now. Hopefully will be ready in about a month.

The front end is one piece now. It comes off with a total of 4 bolts. (we might add 2 more locations says the body guy to keep tight lines) I was going to go with true 78 chrome bumper but then it would have to be unbolted from the frame to get the front end off. So we are going to fix the glass one to make it come off in one piece. Truck will be the same red color the bumpers and cage will be painter black. All we can do now is hurry up and wait!

Final pics before the truck gets painted this weekend. It is being painted Dodge Viper Red. Should be ready for December 4th race in Houston. We will have a bunch of work to do in order to make it.

Attachments

• IMG00110-20091120-1446.jpg
    IMG00110-20091120-1446.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG00109-20091120-1445.jpg
    IMG00109-20091120-1445.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG00108-20091120-1445.jpg
    IMG00108-20091120-1445.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 30
I can't belive you were able to save the rear finder. you should have the decals monday or tuesday
George

I hate throwing out stuff that can be fixed. New fender $300, fixed old one for $150.

We cut a hood out of the fiberglass front end, actually came out nice. Hood had minimal damage. In this pic everything is just roughed in for fitment.

Attachments

• IMG00104-20091116-1057.jpg
    IMG00104-20091116-1057.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 40
I sure hated it for you for sure, get it back together and dont look back. Ive had my front and rears taking care of but after seeing your's Im now working on a fix for my 4 on the side. It was good to meet ya, see yall at the next one. Ryan

I did not realize till now that this was your 23! Congrads! kick ass! and go get em!!!!! Cant wait to see it run one day. Check out this thread.....Would be cool if you could make it.

Texas Diesel Shootout December 4th NO EXCUSES - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

For those who are following. Pics after paint prior to sanding and buffing. Truck is painted Dodge Viper Red. Also pic of the polished grill.

IMG00117-20091124-1037.jpg

IMG00119-20091124-1118.jpg

IMG00115-20091123-1852.jpg

Back