Variable Geometry (SDX Spool Flange) S300 (eventually compounds) thread!

Weston, Will fitment be in issue on the T3 piece with an HX40 DP or will we need another manifold as well?

Just to be clear I did not select the straight flange steed manifold just for the t4 flange I just decided to do it and get it out of the way at the same time given it was one of the parts I wanted to add to the truck for a bit.

The down pipe is done after much welding and some BFH treatment. Should have it one the truck tomorrow or thursday.

So is the straight steed speed manifold supposed to help spool up because of the deleted angle before the turbo?

The steed straight T4, spool valve and a larger turbo have been on my list for a while. Thanks for putting this review out there!

There is an option on there to add a steed speed t4 manifold at a discounted rate. The drop down box has to be changed to none if you do no want the manifold.

There is an option on there to add a steed speed t4 manifold at a discounted rate. The drop down box has to be changed to none if you do no want the manifold.

Ah, very sneaky, looks like I need to pay better attention.

Looks like the down pipe needs one more adjustment. Sorry I've been slow to update this thread work has picked up a bit and softball both are preventing quick work of this deal. I have plenty of pics and will get them up soon!

You can see how the turbo sits because of the steed manifold with the straight flange and the spool flange. Honestly I don't think shock tower interference would be an issue with the normal 45* flanges with an s300 turbo but an s400 may require some massaging!
IMG_2237.jpg

A shot from the top. You can see the new 7/8" oil line (says coolant line on it but see previous replies for questions regarding suitability of the line). You can also see i'm at the very end of the silicone hoses. Again, with a 45* stock style flange I would say this is unlikely to be an issue and even with the higher positioning of my turbo it still seems to be ok to 55 psi.
IMG_2236.jpg

One of the many splices that had to happen for the down pipe to work due to the high placement of the steed manifold. Flux cored aluminized piping to the stainless down pipe and didn't grind anything hence the ugly appearance. Given these welds went surprisingly well I could care less what they look like so long as they hold.
IMG_2235.jpg

View of the 7/8 oil drain line.
IMG_2234.jpg

More to come in a few minutes........

Last edited:
A view of the flange on from the top. The actuator was flipped 180 as said earlier by Weston. It can work the other way but the boost line would be extremely close to the down pipe and may make things a bit too challenging.
IMG_2232.jpg

Another view from the top.
IMG_2231.jpg

View from the front. Notice the tapped compressor cover for boost signal for the spool flange.
IMG_2230.jpg

The idiot behind this half assed down pipe about 1/3rd in its completion.
IMG_2246.jpg

After I finished the welds to the down pipe and cut the bottom of the pipe welding a piece in to angle it up avoiding the trans cross member I was able to get it painted (flat black) and put back on running exhaust to the previously existing 4in stack. I drove the truck about an hour today and so far the spool flange has been the best thing i've put on the truck. The response in the low to mid pedal position is undeniably better as is the smoke during these times which is not so easy to control with these 5x20s even with a gov spring in the afc and it in the full rearward position. The spool flange has not hung or had any issues returning to close once going above the full open 20psi and returning. I look forward to getting some more time behind the wheel especially during dry conditions given all the rain we have had.

More pictures to come of the fully done setup.

Last edited:
very nice! once these have been in the field for a while and i know they work i would like to try one with a s400 based turbo

Sorry, no hard data or track times but just figured i'd add some more qualitative info. Went and picked the truck up due to having forgot some chit for softball game tonight and starting to really notice how much more enjoyable the truck is to drive. Acceleration smoke has been cut dramatically now being able to roll into the throttle without generating anything more than a slight black haze where as before it was a pretty thick black haze. Truck is simply tons more fun to drive with much more bottom end! Also, EGTs are staying a good bit lower everywhere and is really noticeable when letting truck cool off before shut down.

I will try to get some 4x4 launch video up comparing how the truck was before the spool flange and now.

any new info? also do you think it would be beneficial to open sooner or hold longer on the actuator would make any difference?

I'd like to see this on an automatic vp truck. If it could lower spool up enough I'd run a big single instead of twins. Just need the low end for towing.

Edit: What size turbo is that again?

Last edited:
Turbo is an s300 64/71 t4 .91 a/r unit from forced.

There will be more info as I have time. You could hold the butterfly closed longer but can't open it sooner without using some kind of electronically controlled c02 setup. Personally I would leave it just as it is 20psi is a great opening point imho.

You could hold the butterfly closed longer but can't open it sooner without using some kind of electronically controlled c02 setup. Personally I would leave it just as it is 20psi is a great opening point imho.

thanks nick, great feedback

Back