Help tuning a 13mm 12V.

kino_fab

KTPA Tech Official
Posting this for fireman450. We took his truck to a local pull saturday night and from what we can see the truck is way over fueled. Specs are 13mm II Dragon FLow pump, 5x.018 10 hole dual feed injectors, custom cam (no idea what the specs are), S465 turbo with a .9 A/R exh housing, ATS manifold. Here is a video of the pull. His is the red flatbed 2wd at 00:40. YouTube - kottpa Scottsville 09 diesel truck pull I know he didn't leave the line hard enough, but at the end of the night he mad a second pass leaving at about 4500 and it still fell on its face. EGTs we only up to 1400* so that tells me its getting may too much fuel and putting the fire out.

From what we have seen and been told, the pump has a #5 plate slid all the way back, and the pump is bench timed at 38* (so we are told). Anyone know what we can do to one of these pumps to back the fuel off more to keep from putting the fire out and get more HP out of it. Thanks.

I think a 12mm would be better suited for a S465 but thats me. Other then sliding the plate back Im not sure, I doubt changing the rack cap back to stock would help either as the plate being positioned back would more then likley limit it from getting 21mm of rack travel. Smaller injector and or DV's would hurt the pump over time.

I was thinking the same thing. We thought about using a stock plate to limit the rack taravel even more, but I don't know how it will effect the other aspects of the pump.

They are called 5x.018's. it has the original 5 stock size holes, plus 5 more bigger holes making them a 10 hole injector.

Posting this for fireman450. We took his truck to a local pull saturday night and from what we can see the truck is way over fueled. Specs are 13mm II Dragon FLow pump, 5x.018 10 hole dual feed injectors, custom cam (no idea what the specs are), S465 turbo with a .9 A/R exh housing, ATS manifold. Here is a video of the pull. His is the red flatbed 2wd at 00:40. YouTube - kottpa Scottsville 09 diesel truck pull I know he didn't leave the line hard enough, but at the end of the night he mad a second pass leaving at about 4200 and it still fell on its face. EGTs we only up to 1400* so that tells me its getting may too much fuel and putting the fire out.

From what we have seen and been told, the pump has a #5 plate slid all the way back, and the pump is bench timed at 28* (so we are told). Anyone know what we can do to one of these pumps to back the fuel off more to keep from putting the fire out and get more HP out of it. Thanks.

Kinda fixed it a little for ya bragg. Still gonna make a few more passes this weekend. I just really need to squeeze as many RPMs as I can out of her and see what happens.
Im just not much on fine tuning these pumps.... :bang Somethin I need to learn.

Lynn

We are afraid to go with a smaller injector and risk damaging the pump. The pump is supposed to be set at around 600+ CC's right now. A friend of ours went through 2 or 3 pumps almost back to back and it turned out the injectors we not what he was told and were way to small causing alot of stress inside the pump.

I thought you told me it was bench timed at 38*.

Nope..lol I tell ya what... If I wasnt so scared of it a little :nos: would benifit....:hehe: about a 50 shot or so.... :umno:

Lynn

PS
Bragg did the swelling ever go down???? :hehe:

Last edited:
A friend of ours went through 2 or 3 pumps almost back to back and it turned out the injectors we not what he was told and were way to small causing alot of stress inside the pump.

Which in-turn beat the crap out of the cam and rollers inside the pump.....sound like I have been through this before huh!

I see and hear a few thing that are not right, there is too much pump or injector, my guess is injector if they are bigger than a 5x18, way too much fuel on the bottom (like it has no AFC) you can hear this in the motor as it never breaks free. 13mm's are not any harder to tune than a 12!

Jim

yeah a little sleep and my head is back to normal. I'm still pretty excited though winning the first points pull of the season lol.

Anyways back on topic, what injectors would you guys recommend that would cut the fuel down and still not hurt the pump?

I run 5x.017's in a CDS pump, that CDS said was capable of nearly 1000CC.

some 5x.018 32* timing on the light and set fuel to 500cc and youll be a lot closer

They are 10x0.016" normally, perfect candidate to be sold to someone else who wants nothing but smoke.

That explains alot. But you can look at the injector tip and tell that half of the holes are a diffeent size. But If a regular 5x18 will work ill see if I can track down a set.

Lynn

the total cross sectional area of a 5x18 is .001272

a 5x9 is .000315

if ya add the two its .001587

a 10x16 is .002010 (25% larger than what you already have)

just for reference

going to std 5x18 is only gonna knock the fueling down but about 20%

do you think taking 20% away is gonna keep it lit all the way thru?

i think the person that suggested cutting down the pump output has been there before

i have not

bet you have have one bad azz truck once you get it sorted out tho!

good luck with it

don

the total cross sectional area of a 5x18 is .001272

a 5x9 is .000315

if ya add the two its .001587

a 10x16 is .002010 (25% larger than what you already have)

just for reference

going to std 5x18 is only gonna knock the fueling down but about 20%

do you think taking 20% away is gonna keep it lit all the way thru?

i think the person that suggested cutting down the pump output has been there before

i have not

bet you have have one bad azz truck once you get it sorted out tho!

good luck with it

don

Thanks Don
My biggest problem for that pull is that my RPM was WAY to low. I have figured out that I am going to have to come out wfo to help keep everything spinning.( Now that I know this new set up will still dead hook) My pump does have a 5k spring abut I havent touched it yet.
What can I go to get as many RPM outta my pump as I can?

Thanks
Lynn

Back