Help tuning a 13mm 12V.

the total cross sectional area of a 5x18 is .001272

a 5x9 is .000315

if ya add the two its .001587

a 10x16 is .002010 (25% larger than what you already have)

just for reference

going to std 5x18 is only gonna knock the fueling down but about 20%

do you think taking 20% away is gonna keep it lit all the way thru?

i think the person that suggested cutting down the pump output has been there before

i have not

bet you have have one bad azz truck once you get it sorted out tho!

good luck with it

don

There is more to it than just the area of the hole. A 5 hole tip will out perform a 10 hole anyday.

What Gears are you running Lynn?

4.88s as of right now.
Got a few trying to talk me into a set of 5.13s. Ill try that out if I cant keep my rpm up where i want it.
So you say a 5 hole injector will out perform what I have now and not restrict my pump?

Lynn

Shouldn't need anything slower than the 4.88's. With the sleds we have around here, ground and wheel speed is the main thing we need. The S465 is going to limit some of the RPM anyway, so you need a faster gear to keep the ground speed. If it were a 2.8 or 3.0 truck, then yeah, go with the 5.13's.

4.88s as of right now.
Got a few trying to talk me into a set of 5.13s. Ill try that out if I cant keep my rpm up where i want it.
So you say a 5 hole injector will out perform what I have now and not restrict my pump?

Lynn

Yes, a dual fed 5x.018 will make much more power with less smoke,and not kill the pump.

the total cross sectional area of a 5x18 is .001272

a 5x9 is .000315

if ya add the two its .001587

a 10x16 is .002010 (25% larger than what you already have)

just for reference

going to std 5x18 is only gonna knock the fueling down but about 20%

do you think taking 20% away is gonna keep it lit all the way thru?

i think the person that suggested cutting down the pump output has been there before

i have not

bet you have have one bad azz truck once you get it sorted out tho!

good luck with it

don

.002010 divided by .001272345 equals 1.5797. 10 x .016's are 1.58 times more fuel than 5 x .018's. A pretty fair difference.

Yes, a dual fed 5x.018 will make much more power with less smoke,and not kill the pump.

It will probably allow the truck to start on its own instead of having to keep the block heater plugged in or doping it with either for the first couple of minutes too. But then again that could just be the fact we cut .125" off the pistons lol.

Too many numbers....:bang brain overlaod.....

What is the diffrence between a duel feed injector and a single feed? Im asuming a duel feed has two lines feeding it but I could be wrong. I have never seen one. Unless I have and not known it....:doh:

Lynn

Never mind I retarct my previous question. Mine are duel fed injectors.
They Are II Super Dragon flows
From IIs web site.
Super Dragon Flow

250+ HP over stock! IIS Super Dragon Flow Injectors are highly modified, 10 hole EDM dual feed injectors. A Dragon Flow or Super Dragon Flow P7100 modified injection pump is required to run these injectors. Super Dragon Flow injectors are capable of 1200 RWHP. FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY!

Last edited:
U need to talk to zak he was going to take his 5x18s dual feeds out mayb , no 2 lines just extra feed in the injector wade can get them too

On a side note of missed info, the injectors are I.I. Super Dragon Flows.

They are hear because they want to help the 2wd. The 2wd is different. People love the 2wd. lol

Lynn I would try a different set of injectors for sure. I think a set of single feed 5x.018s would be just fine. And 38° is way too much timing for your setup in my opinion. Also with that high of timing I would say that your spray pattern may very well be out of the bowl, depending on what pistons youre running.

I would for sure try a smaller injector and pull the timing back to atleast 30° like gotta12v stated. If it was mine I would probably take it down to around 26-28°.

Last edited:
What gear are you running when you hook? I don't understand why so many people think they need a 13mm pump. A 12mm will do more than enough for the 2.6 class if tuned right. Fuel is not always the problem solver. I guess I'm a little on the slow side, but I also don't see the need to take .125" off the pistons. Seems like a little much for 2.6 if you ask me. Oh, wait. Nobody did. And I definately don't blame you for that. Ditto on losing the 10 hole injectors though. Seems like a 5 hole always comes out on top.

What gear are you running when you hook? I don't understand why so many people think they need a 13mm pump. A 12mm will do more than enough for the 2.6 class if tuned right. Fuel is not always the problem solver. I guess I'm a little on the slow side, but I also don't see the need to take .125" off the pistons. Seems like a little much for 2.6 if you ask me. Oh, wait. Nobody did. And I definately don't blame you for that.

The 13mm pumps are not being used because more volume of fuel is needed, but the quicker injection rate that they offer allows for higher RPM. A 12mm pump @ 500ccs will not perform equally to a 13mm pump @ 500ccs. I am thinking very hard about the switch to a 13mm pump myself.

I know you used 500 as a comparison note, but just like his pump is supposed to be at 600cc with the plate all the way back if I read that correctly, does it really take that kind of fuel to compete? Seems like everybody that has a pump sent off and that consistently does good always ends up running close to 400cc regardless of the upper supply range of the pump. I understand the volume of the pump allowing for more RPM's but gearing and traction plays a huge role in this class and gets overlooked so much. Seems like the solution to everything is to throw more fuel at the problem. Josh, I think that you could benefit from the 13mm pump more than someone who has trouble coming off the line. As many driveline breaks as you've had, I think it's obvious that you get plenty of traction and could therefore use the volume to help use that traction to get even farther down the track. That last sentence just sounded confusing, but I think the point is still in there somewhere.

I'm just an overvalved underfueled VP man trying to play the catch up game, so I don't really know. What I do know is I'm probably making it more obvious what I don't know because I'm trying to post about things right now that are obviously out of my league. Not only that but it is almost 2 am and I have to get up at 6 am so I'll leave this to those that are far more educated about this than me and try to get some shut eye.

Later,

Rodney

What gear are you running when you hook? I don't understand why so many people think they need a 13mm pump. A 12mm will do more than enough for the 2.6 class if tuned right. Fuel is not always the problem solver. I guess I'm a little on the slow side, but I also don't see the need to take .125" off the pistons. Seems like a little much for 2.6 if you ask me. Oh, wait. Nobody did. And I definately don't blame you for that. Ditto on losing the 10 hole injectors though. Seems like a 5 hole always comes out on top.

Well I am running in 2nd gear. I went with the set up i have because I got a good deal on all the parts. I do understand that I have the fuel now Im just trying to get all my other things worked out so I can use it to its full potential.
As for the pistons, I was in a pinch for time and couldnt find a shop that could cut the valve reliefs for me so I just had my local shop deck them for valve clearence. Not my best option I know but Ill fix that later.
I would either like to find a good set of duel feed 5x18s to try or find a 2.8 or 3.0 charger to play with....:evil

Lynn

My 12mm pump plate forward made 720hp(around 550cc). My 13mm made 818 with plate to the rear(around 525cc). Runs cleaner too.

So if the 5x.018's still arent enough to limit the fuel, will just a stock 12mm fuel plate limit the fuel even more and not effect the other aspects of the pump?

Back