Why won't my truck dyno good?

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
This is ridiculous. A year or so ago I dynoed 496hp with bd 155's, tst/smarty, ksb-1, stock auto. Then I put water/meth on and the DTT and did 462hp with that combo. Then I swapped in a ps62/12 and put in these 11 holers and did 451hp. By this point my injection pump was 130k miles old and had been tapped for a 100k so I figured it was weak so I replaced it. Today I get on the dyno and the truck only does 393hp. Granted I didn't use my water/meth this time but the other times I was only running washer fluid. Why won't my truck dyno good? I'm hitting full boost on the dyno so that's not the issue. Heck, smarty and injectors only I only did 353hp and the smoke cleared and I'm only hitting 1300*. I know these 11 holers aren't the best but damn I know that this truck has more power than the dyno is saying. The 1/4 mile time shows that. And that time was with no boosted launch (didn't have shafts). Yall got any ideas? I know the turbo is on the small side but it should be doing more than this. I did 393hp today with the tst on 2 and smarty on 5.

They say dyno's are heart breakers! I have a friend with a 2005 Ram CTD with Dual Cp3's (BOTH ARE BIG), BIG INJECTORS, BIG RAIL, TST, SMARTY, SNOW H2O STG III, and a GREAT BIG TN CHARGER. Truck runs like a raped ape...but you won't catch that truck within 100 yards of a dyno!

I HOPE HE READS THIS AND GOES AND PROVES THE WHOLE KITTEN KABOODLE THAT HE DOES HAVE LOTS OF HP!

BgBlDodge said:
The 1/4 mile time shows that.

Back when my 02 was dynoing at 408hp it was running 96mph in the 1/4mile. I think the dyno is telling you the truth, but I don't know why you aren't making more power then that with the upgrades you have. You definitely seem to have a problem somewhere.

Last edited:
I'd say that you need to clean the map/iat sensors & have your box checked out. What fuel system are you running? Sounds like the box is getting weak, but those Dragons are monsters, you could be choking the engine. I had Dragon Flys, Holley Blue, a HTB2 62/12 turbo & Edge comp...dynoed 476hp/936lbft.

You must be bummin' man. Sorry for your luck. What differences have you yourself noticed with the upgrades? Does the truck seem to run better? Have your 1/4 mile times changed?
What are you using for fuel delivery? I didn't see anything in your sig.
I hope your not trying to swing that hammer with a toothpick!!!

Trucks that perform well on the track don't always perform well on the dyno. I personally feel that your truck better be dead on for tuning, not too much fuel, injected at the right time etc etc. I don't think my truck would dyno well, as I had so much fuel at the bottom and a big charger. Once on the track the sled loads it enough that those are as critical. Remember most dyno's are a measurement of how fast your engine can accelerate a certain load.

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

:bow: <----this is you because I'm gonna have 2 trucks with more than yours.:kick:

The truck runs like a raped ape on the street. Converter is locking and isn't slipping. Fuel pressure is rock solid at 13psi with everything turned up. I haven't been back to the 1/4 since I installed billet but my track times dropped 1.5sec when I swapped in the ps62/12 and the 200's so I know that it's definately making more power. I just wanna know why every time I dyno it keeps going lower and lower.

Forrest, if I had the money for the twins I'd buy them in a heart beat.

As you know Tyler I too am plagued with Big Blue Syndrome. I've pulled my iats and map sensors for cleaning and swapped from the 64 to a super 62 since my last run. I'll let you know how it turns out. The sensors were pretty oily, but a little brake clean and they looked good as new $.02

Maybe you should get one of those... Hx-35's and some jammer nozzles with a edge ez . I think that combo will put out more power.
:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: J/k

I think your right. LOL I pulled my map sensor a couple of weeks ago and it was fine but I hit it with some brake cleaner anyways. Haven't pulled the IAT sensor yet but I have a feeling that it's gonna be the same way.

BgBlDodge said:
The 1/4 mile time shows that.

I did 393hp today with the tst on 2 and smarty on 5.

6800 lbs at 96 mph is 400 hp.

The dyno is right on.....

You couldn't be comparing numbers from the same dyno and the same CF.

Damn Tyler, I normally give you a hard time but I actually feel sorry for ya on this one...:doh:

Back