Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I got a 625 Acert platinum kit a couple weeks ago. It came with new head bolts. The same kit I got in July did not.

Got a platinum kit for a 1lw a couple weeks ago. I ask when they were going to start putting bolts in the kit, he said they actually started doing it on the acerts in October. He also said should be doing for all platinum kits this year.

I got a 625 Acert platinum kit a couple weeks ago. It came with new head bolts. The same kit I got in July did not.
This is correct. CAT is losing their minds over OPT warranty due to head gasket failure. The new form for liner projection requires a technicians signature.

I asked many years ago about components included in overhauls. The answer I got was that the dealers collectively dictate what is included.

The head bolts is a knee-jerk reaction to head gasket failures though. C13 kits have required the bolts all along because they are TTY.
About 30% of the 3400 engines we have had in the shop in the last two years have needed new headbolts.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Flame start, because those modern euro engines are so ******* spiffy.

And the new liner projection form.
97a7e168f20ccfcf97f5ab9a004d1207.jpg
b53b7b62612be23fa38806fdf4990b97.jpg

Flame start, because those modern euro engines are so ******* spiffy.

And the new liner projection form.
97a7e168f20ccfcf97f5ab9a004d1207.jpg
b53b7b62612be23fa38806fdf4990b97.jpg

I'm not sure what is goin on with cat. It seems like the problems have become worse and worse. I've only had 1 truck fail in recent times. But it's failed on me 3 times, and the previous owner at least once. Same symptom each time, different cause. I don't have itapart yet, but it will be the waay too sone from the last time it was apart....

I'm not sure what is goin on with cat. It seems like the problems have become worse and worse. I've only had 1 truck fail in recent times. But it's failed on me 3 times, and the previous owner at least once. Same symptom each time, different cause. I don't have itapart yet, but it will be the waay too sone from the last time it was apart....

Since we started O-ringing and filling Cat heads we haven’t had one gasket failure in almost 100 heads. Had several ringed heads back off due to other issues and none had gasket issues. If the liners are sinking the block is junk, had one that was cut twice and was still low the last time it came apart. It’s laying in the scrap pile now. If it’s an Acert you need to ring the head or lower compression and do both if your planning on adding HP. And when I say lower compression you can’t just shave the top of the pistons. That doesn’t work. You must cut the bowl or use 16:1’s.

We don’t have nearly as much issue with Cat parts as Cummins. Local dealer said they’re over run with Cummins parts warranty claims. Cummins has one job and they outsource it to China.

As far as your turbo I had one come apart in a short time and got it warrantied. I found a broken C-clip laying on top of the drain gasket so I had proof of failure. You can try to get it covered but I think your going to have to eat it.

I ordered a new compressor wheel for my spare manifold turbo from Cummins. Took 4 months to get here and came from Singapore.

Since we started O-ringing and filling Cat heads we haven’t had one gasket failure in almost 100 heads. Had several ringed heads back off due to other issues and none had gasket issues. If the liners are sinking the block is junk, had one that was cut twice and was still low the last time it came apart. It’s laying in the scrap pile now. If it’s an Acert you need to ring the head or lower compression and do both if your planning on adding HP. And when I say lower compression you can’t just shave the top of the pistons. That doesn’t work. You must cut the bowl or use 16:1’s.

We don’t have nearly as much issue with Cat parts as Cummins. Local dealer said they’re over run with Cummins parts warranty claims. Cummins has one job and they outsource it to China.

As far as your turbo I had one come apart in a short time and got it warrantied. I found a broken C-clip laying on top of the drain gasket so I had proof of failure. You can try to get it covered but I think your going to have to eat it.

I ordered a new compressor wheel for my spare manifold turbo from Cummins. Took 4 months to get here and came from Singapore.

Only 1 truck has ave me issues. I'm starting to think its the block. It's an Acert. It's had blown head gasket on another shops overhaul, re cut and put 6 packs in and was fine for 2 years. Then came in with a broke liner flange at number 6. Couldn't find anything wrong in that hole, cleaned everything up, re assembled then it went a few weeks and blew out between multiple other cylinders, now it had been put together with an ipd head gasket, and reused the bolts. After that fiasco, I put cat hardware and a new spacer plate (protrusion at .006) ant it was fine for right about a year. Now its makin pressure again. It's not at the shop yet, but I'm probably gonna gut it this time. It's a dead stock 550 nxs.

On any of the higher hp ones I've done, I have the bowls milled to get 16:1, with .006 protrusion and new bolts they have been good. Anything out of frame gets the deck resurfaced.
As far as the turbo, I'll try, but I'd like to know what caused it. I figured it was properly sized, maybe I was wrong:st:

Last edited:
All of cats injectors are getting **** tier by the minute. We are having more of the nozzles DOA that I can recall in the past.

Mine may be up for injectors soon... where does a guy go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Since we started O-ringing and filling Cat heads we haven’t had one gasket failure in almost 100 heads.

Just out of curiosity , what are you filling the heads with? Filling heads of daily working engines at stock power levels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back