Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Fuel pump plugs oil passages ? No, they just destroy injectors. That ISX plugged oilpassage problem was just crap from block castings left in block. American quality control..

If a common rail high pressure system went goofy wouldn't it be pretty easy to spin a rod bearing? Too much cylinder pressure can overcome the oil film.

Fuel pump plugs oil passages ? No, they just destroy injectors. That ISX plugged oilpassage problem was just crap from block castings left in block. American quality control..

No, it's widely common knowledge that the ceramic plungers from the XPI system shattered and sent ceramic material through the lube oil. Cummins is still denying warranty on catastrophic engine failures due to fuel systems failures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If a common rail high pressure system went goofy wouldn't it be pretty easy to spin a rod bearing? Too much cylinder pressure can overcome the oil film.

Wtf? You sound like the NTPA that won’t allow common rail because they think if a line blows it will be 36,000psi fire hose thats out of control. And no you have not see any tune do this. You could spray fuel for 360* of crank angle and that system has no where near the capacity to do what your saying.

The bearings fail in that scenario due to fuel dilution, long after the piston walls, rings, valves fail. The upper cylinder would meet its thermal limit before the bearings suffered. (My avatar)

The bearings fail in that scenario due to fuel dilution, long after the piston walls, rings, valves fail. The upper cylinder would meet its thermal limit before the bearings suffered. (My avatar)

Ok and what if the ambient temp is -30? I thunk it was Ruud Viser who retrofitted a 2stroke with common rail. He bent the rods.

Ok and what if the ambient temp is -30? I thunk it was Ruud Viser who retrofitted a 2stroke with common rail. He bent the rods.

So the common rail fuel system caused the rods to bend?

What fueling rate was it set for? How much power was being made?

Chris

You would have to talk to him

My point is this. Peak cylinder pressures and BMEP have been trending upwards for about 30 years now. Common rail is just the latest to add more. With unit injectors at least on a Detroit as you add timing for the same pulsewidth you get less fuel. Yet guys still blow **** up. Now we can do a full blast whenever we want. I'm betting as the software for these engines become more widespread we are going to see a lot more melted pistons, cracked heads, and even spun rod bearings. Some of the OEMs are bumping up compression too.

My point is this. Peak cylinder pressures and BMEP have been trending upwards for about 30 years now. Common rail is just the latest to add more. With unit injectors at least on a Detroit as you add timing for the same pulsewidth you get less fuel. Yet guys still blow **** up. Now we can do a full blast whenever we want. I'm betting as the software for these engines become more widespread we are going to see a lot more melted pistons, cracked heads, and even spun rod bearings. Some of the OEMs are bumping up compression too.

A lot of the failures are cheap parts. Everything getting sourced to the lowest bidder. Rarely can we pull a head that is worth reusing. Almost alway have cracks between the valves or around injectors. Most guys don’t want to risk it and just replace.

Cut the counterbore on an old block vs a newer block and the material is obviously different. They don’t cut nearly the same. This is what you get when everyone is too stupid to realize the cheapest part is the most expensive. OEM’s don’t care because it just has to make it out of warranty and fleets just rotate every few years.

Slow down chief. OEM has consistently dropped cylinder pressure in North American until the advent of SCR. Now, with that tech, cylinder pressures are climbing again.

You have one instance of rod bearings spinning, with the CLAIM that it was due to cylinder pressure.

How many engines are on the market running common rail on an engine platform that pre dated the fuel system. I bet I could touch on 20.

I understand what you are saying, but what power factor are we discussing? Twice the design level?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I have two completely unrelated questions that will probably get lost in the engine discussion.

1. For those of you who have put hardwood flooring in your trucks, how did you work around the rivets and bolts in the floor? I am hoping to put a hardwood, floating floor in my freightliner, however there are quite a few rivets across the floor and I am not sure it will set even. I do have some sound deading material and insulation that is about 3/8" thick. However, with the board being 1/2" thick and the deading material I will be adding 7/8" to the floor, I'm not sure how it will effect he pedals.

2. Looking to upgrade the radio and sound system. The truck currently has 4 small speakers, I'd like to add at least 4 more, maybe an amp and a subwoofer. Does anyone know how to wire these up? I am guessing I can get a universal pigtail out of the back of the head unit and run wires.

I have two completely unrelated questions that will probably get lost in the engine discussion.

1. For those of you who have put hardwood flooring in your trucks, how did you work around the rivets and bolts in the floor? I am hoping to put a hardwood, floating floor in my freightliner, however there are quite a few rivets across the floor and I am not sure it will set even. I do have some sound deading material and insulation that is about 3/8" thick. However, with the board being 1/2" thick and the deading material I will be adding 7/8" to the floor, I'm not sure how it will effect he pedals.

2. Looking to upgrade the radio and sound system. The truck currently has 4 small speakers, I'd like to add at least 4 more, maybe an amp and a subwoofer. Does anyone know how to wire these up? I am guessing I can get a universal pigtail out of the back of the head unit and run wires.

I can’t answer for the flooring. Getting a good aftermarket deck and 4 good speakers should be more than enough for your truck. Something like good kicker, Boston acoustics, jbl, alpine. Don’t buy low end speakers. A set of 4” might be $150 or so for good ones and depending on the truck you have. I put 4 kicker 4” in the cab of my kw and 2 -6” in the bunk. The bunk ones would benefit from an amp. If I was to install and amp I would so under the bunks bed and have a good 4 channel amp capable to drive the 2 speakers on a channel each and then join the remaining 2 channels to drive a small sub. But if you buy good rears you won’t need a sub.

a39f158c4207dc4ba9361c1cc2c01247.jpg
b881eeef4eaa2252a75c04ea8bcdb957.jpg
92f72f2dc21436a75cf50be8f6bcd1aa.jpg

What have I got? Come off a 2012 t800 I believe no miles. Are they worth anything to scrapper? Or to someone for replacement?

I know everyone does it and all, but I’m against hardwood in a truck. I hate it. Been around two trucks that have had it and we pulled it out of both. Just my two cents on that.

As for the radio stuff, people get carried away with the speakers I think. I have 4 in the cab and 2 in the bunk and it’s God’s plenty I assure you. It’s no competition setup but it’s clear, loud, and does what we need it to.

We have a an alpine head unit with kicker speakers. We have an 800 watt kicker amp driving two JL subs in one of the closets.

I will disagree with not needing subs however, depending on how you like your music to sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can’t answer for the flooring. Getting a good aftermarket deck and 4 good speakers should be more than enough for your truck. Something like good kicker, Boston acoustics, jbl, alpine. Don’t buy low end speakers. A set of 4” might be $150 or so for good ones and depending on the truck you have. I put 4 kicker 4” in the cab of my kw and 2 -6” in the bunk. The bunk ones would benefit from an amp. If I was to install and amp I would so under the bunks bed and have a good 4 channel amp capable to drive the 2 speakers on a channel each and then join the remaining 2 channels to drive a small sub. But if you buy good rears you won’t need a sub.

I have an old day cab Freightliner FLC. It does have an older aftermarket head unit and it does decent right now. But with the windows down it is sometimes hard to hear. Just looking to upgrade a little bit.

I know everyone does it and all, but I’m against hardwood in a truck. I hate it. Been around two trucks that have had it and we pulled it out of both. Just my two cents on that.

As for the radio stuff, people get carried away with the speakers I think. I have 4 in the cab and 2 in the bunk and it’s God’s plenty I assure you. It’s no competition setup but it’s clear, loud, and does what we need it to.

We have a an alpine head unit with kicker speakers. We have an 800 watt kicker amp driving two JL subs in one of the closets.

I will disagree with not needing subs however, depending on how you like your music to sound.

I'm torn on the hardwood floor. Keep in mind, my truck inst a daily driver and is just a toy. The truck currently has a rubber floor that is all torn, ripped and just disgusting from 30+ years of use. I can't really get one of those floor plates as there is a hump in the center of the cab and the rivets, and I don't really want to go carpet because it can be a paint to keep clean, so I'm settling at hardwood, maybe. I'm planning on redoing the whole interior and I want the floor to look as good as the rest.

For the sound, I hear ya on going over board on speakers. Maybe I only need two. The speakers I do have are way up in the overhead console. I'd like to get at least two behind me (remember, daycab). May be put 2 in the doors, if they'll fit. But the doors may be to thin. I do want a subwoofer as I do like a little bit of bass in the music. Planning on building a center console between the seats to put the amp and sub in.

My deal with hardwood is the changes in temp. Mine drew moisture something horrible. It’s not got anything to do with keeping clean on my end, I mean I have a painted aluminum floor now so that’s even worse. This truck used to have hardwood, we now have aluminum, and the 359 used to have hardwood and we went back with carpet.

I prefer nice rubberized floor, while carpet and hardwood are nice, they're a PITA to clean and hardwood scuffs easy..
I plan on lizard skinning the floor boards and just abouy everything else, then coating it with a bedliner to the FL60
That way I don't have to worry about salt/sand/gravel/dirt getting embedded... Be able to wash out with a garden hose if I wanted to

Put the speakers on the pillar at the floor beside the seats. My kw has 4 in cab and they are loud and clear. Just get quality.

8d08ef5227d39bcd59ecae3a3de4c0fa.jpg

Well found some bad news on dads isx. Injector cam bearing was the cause for low oil pressure. So looks like it will be getting an inframe.

It will be deleted at the same time. Should the factory turbo be left or is there a better suited turbo? Do the vgt operate the same afterwards?

Back