5K GSK question?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
Getting close to sending my pump off to get balanced and some other fancy work done :ft: wanted to put a set of LC delivery valves in the 215 pump along with a 5K GSK. Has anyone been able to install these without idling issues? Just curious if these will idle normal or will they have a lope ? I can handle a lope as long as the truck will idle without dying.

Garmon's 5 or 6k kit idles perfect with ground DV's. No detectable lope and a big change from the 4k gsk that I was running.

I run Haisley 5k springs in two of my trucks, very happy with them, idle is great, doesn't die when you put the truck in gear etc.

I have tried 5k's from another vendor and they sucked idle wise, idled at 1k rpm, put it in drive and the engine would die, not so with the Haisley springs, they're great!

We have the springs here.

Be SURE that if you run 3800+ RPM on a regular basis, get the billet retainers & keepers here $319 is minimal compared to parts and labor if you drop a valve.. I ran my truck hard all year last year at 3700-4100RPM sled pulling & when we pulled the motor 3 valves had almost pulled through and one of them was WAY to close for comfort..

teddybear said:
Whats the fun in that?:what: LOL My 5K from scheid works great. It does lope a little bit at idle now though.
I wanna be sneaky. All the other trucks around here are afraid of mine so I had to figure out a way to trick 'em. :hehe: :hehe:

kelownadiesel said:
Anybody use the kit from ddp?

I did, I wasn't going to mention it but that is the kit I had that would not idle.. It would idle at 1,000 RPM at the loosest setting and die when you put the truck in Drive. It would still die if you set the idle at 1500RPM.. We had the springs in and out about 20 times to no avail, even Lenny from Dynomite tried to fix it out at Indy last year, no go.

I already have the titanium keepers and retainers along with 60lb. valve springs. What else do I need to do to be safe at or above 4K RPM? Head is O-ringed also.

I was thinking of getting from EEP that system that helps keep the coolant pressure down? Im afraid of blowing freeze plugs (from what I heard they blow above 4K?)

I think the freeze plug thing is hit or miss deal, but yes above this RPM you due increase the chance of blowing one out.
Brandon

Whats the difference spring wise from the 4k to the 5k. Ive already got the 4k kit but wanting more?
Luke

on an off note guys,dont mean to hijack.I recently installed the 4k kit from piers.The pump is a 180 pump .I found only one large shim on each weight.I could not find any other shims.Ive seen pics where there are like 4 shims on some pumps.Anyways I cant get any higher than 3200 or so .Is it simply a matter of tightening up the nuts a little more or what?Maybe I dont have enough fuel or timing yet.Help?

I have a 5K from II. I've also used Haisley's.

Both worked fine.

Though I've used some from another couple sources that I couldn't ever get quite right.

I highly recommend having 5Ks done while the pump is off the truck and going on a stand. Much easier to get them right. Some pumps you can drop them righ in. Some take some extra fine tuning/tweaking to make it all cooperate.

~Wes~

Bobcat698 said:
I did, I wasn't going to mention it but that is the kit I had that would not idle.. It would idle at 1,000 RPM at the loosest setting and die when you put the truck in Drive. It would still die if you set the idle at 1500RPM.. We had the springs in and out about 20 times to no avail, even Lenny from Dynomite tried to fix it out at Indy last year, no go.

go figure......

joefarmer said:
I wanna be sneaky. All the other trucks around here are afraid of mine so I had to figure out a way to trick 'em. :hehe: :hehe:
Beware the sneaky sombrero wearer.:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Back