Twin Charged 4BT, Eaton M122, HE341VE

Sorry it's a 54 not 52,

Don't know, but it spools pretty well and I can peg my 35 psi gauge with it.

Last edited:
I can either upgrade the compressor of the he351ve or get a he451ve doesn't really matter i can make a controller to control them. I want to run two turbos as compounds, don't know why I said twins. If I can bypass the supercharger it should work pretty well.

If you use a he351ve for triples you wouldn't need a waste gate you could control each one individually and have the vane open up as needed.

If you use a he351ve for triples you wouldn't need a waste gate you could control each one individually and have the vane open up as needed.

Already did that couple years ago. But you dont want to control the two primarys independently for balance sake. They should act as one big charger.

Hell that's so easy my 8 year old can figure it out. The FIXED geometry turbos don't have a sliding wall protruding over the turbine! its pretty simple, but common since isn't completely common.
So your 8 year old can figure it out, but you can't?
That "wall" its hitting is how the A/R of the turbine is changed. Its the same function as swing vanes in other turbos causing the throat to become restricted and increase gas velocity (pressure drop).

I am just stating the obvious, for what I do in the military I have more knowledge on how cell phones work then I ever wanted to know. You’re just an ID10T for thinking an android and iphone have different ways they connect to cell phone networks.
You completely missed what I said.
I stated the OPERATING SYSTEM is different but they both accomplish the same task. I said nothing about the communications hardware and I don't give a rats @ss about what you did with telecommunications in the military.

They use 100% of the same means to communicate, the difference is the OS and user interface the rest but the technology is 100% same. There is no comparison on how VGT and VNT work.
Actually, its EXACTLY THE SAME comparison.
Again, you're so fixated on the fact you're WRONG that you will do anything EXCEPT admit you're wrong and learn something new.

How this works is it funnels the energy into a tighter space creating a jet. Imagine taking a water hose and putting your thumb on the edge of the hose.
Now please explain to me how the VNT is exactly the same as the VGT.
You just did. :welcome:
Swing vanes increase gas velocity by changing the angle of the vanes, the sliding wall changes velocity by changing the wall clearance.
The difference is like using your index finger instead of thumb.

The benefit of the VGT isn't quick spool. The benefit is the exhaust brake
Incorrect, both are attributes of variable turbos.
(FYI, swing vane turbos can have the exact same "brake" function too)

You have just rambled on with nothing, contributed nothing and have proved nothing.
Only in your mind.

I am very open to learn something new
Ricky-Gervais-Hysterical-Laughter.gif

Last edited:
Tormenter is a DBAG but he is right, both pivoting vane and sliding wall are both "VGT" turbos. Actually each turbo manufacturer has a different acronym for their method of varying the geometry of the turbine. Yes different methods of execution and as to what design is better might be worth some argument.....

I'll start off, they all suck as a competition performance charger.

Trying to talk myself into reading the rest of this thread.

I would like to know what editor software you gents are using to program your controllers.

It's not that i'm doubtful of the affect, but i can't understand how using feedback from only a boost sensor comes anywhere near realizing the full potential of a variable turbocharger. It seems reactionary which is not the intent of the vgt design.

Monkey Fist Rage

AWESOME build Steed, it's too bad the green eyed monsters have to derail the thread with "expert opinion", they're probably turbo salesmen who want to slow the sales of crank driven chargers to keep the competition down.
A toothed belt drive of the correct width/horsepower rating would solve any belt slippage problems if financially viable. If not then a coarser pulley surface might help in the grip department.
I'm not familiar with your engine, so can't offer any suggestions regarding a static compression drop, would you attribute the broken piston ring to detonation?...maybe a water injection kit could help prevent a reoccurrence!

Yeah I do its on 4btswaps.com

Alright guys need some help. Drove from Seattle to colorado springs, blew a brake line, getrag 360 sprang a leak and screwed it up. Then blew a piston ring.

Fixed the brake line, 1k on rebuilding the transmission. Now I need to fix the cylinder, its scored up pretty good you can feel the grooves.

If I rebuild it should I use lower compression pistons? If so what's a good ratio?

I stumbled upon this guide while browsing another forum, you should be able to work out an approximate compression ratio drop required from the chart.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/21-6-5l-diesel-engine/470-6-5-6-2-high-performance-engine-modifications/524642-boost-cylinder-pressure-calculator.html

Tormenter is a DBAG but he is right, both pivoting vane and sliding wall are both "VGT" turbos. Actually each turbo manufacturer has a different acronym for their method of varying the geometry of the turbine. Yes different methods of execution and as to what design is better might be worth some argument.....

I'll start off, they all suck as a competition performance charger.

While I'll agree in general with this statement, I did have some very promising results using a manually controlled HE551V on my 12v. Compared to other 71mm compressor chargers I had run, the HE551V outperformed them all for a street truck...IE, performance and driving manners.

Now, all out performance, no.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Chris

Back