PSDPlayer vs IMELMO Deathmatch Procharger Shootout

BTW it is not a new idea, remember the 2-stroke diesels with roots style blower and a turbo?

A 2-stroke diesel WILL NOT OPERATE without a supercharger. The dertoits had blowers to push fresh air into the cylinders and force exhaust out. To my knowedge they make very little boost. They also had to be ran at redline to get any poer.

They added turbo's later to add some air to make HP the supercharger couldnt provide.

A 2-stroke diesel WILL NOT OPERATE without a supercharger. The dertoits had blowers to push fresh air into the cylinders and force exhaust out. To my knowedge they make very little boost. They also had to be ran at redline to get any poer.

They added turbo's later to add some air to make HP the supercharger couldnt provide.

I would use KNOWLEDGE instead of knowedge cause apparently it works better(don't get mad couldn't resist).
1-There are 2-stroke diesels sans superchargers(mostly little ones).
2-I always wondered what blowers did, thanks!
3-It varies, but I've seen around 10 psi at idle and thats more than a little boost to me.
4-They were designed to scream, just the nature of old 2-strokes, and they are capable of making awesome power very comparable to modern 4-strokes due to the ignition process occuring twice as often theoretically capable of twice the power. There are also low speed 2-stroke diesels becoming more popular in recent years, but they are mostly for power generation/heavy commercial/marine usage.
5-The turbos were added as technology advanced to aid in supplying air at high rpm's because they do it more efficiently than superchargers.

I personally believe that 2-stroke diesels are a good thing, but due to emissions and some backwards government thinking, they are now mostly dinosaurs. From simplicity and reliability standpoints they are hard to beat.
I am lucky enough to drive an old dump with a Detroit in it every once in a while, and once you get good at banging gears, it is a hoot to drive.

Sorry for straying off topic Doug.

Off topic is fine by me. I started this thread to get a list of the naysayers and to have some fun competatively with the other people doing this.

Take it easy on my hillbilliy spelling:hehe:

I should have been more specific on that, DETROITS will not run. At least thats what their manuals say. Ive never had the displeasure of working on an old detroit. I only know from those who do. Without the blower they cant run at the lower RPMs due to an inability to scavange exhaust gasses. I still love the sound of those engines.

The largest combustion engine in the world is a 2-stroke diesel. They are turbocharged, and among the most effecient engines made. The shear size of those engines and thier almost constant RPM may be what lets them not have a blower.

Apart from those the only non supercharged 2-strokes I know of are Deutz's.

The point I missed with my original post is that if blowers/superchargers were so good. Why would detroit install turbos? Of course technology has advanced since the 60's.

Apart from the "wow" factor I dont see the benifit but I like to see people trying it. Maybe it is possible to work in tandem with turbos on a diesel in the higher HP levels. Time and money will tell.

I am curious what this load on the crank snout will do to the LPOP gears. You stick a monster pulley on there increasing the deflection leverage by about 500% and try to spin it 5k.. You better plan on sticking a dry sump on there also while you are playing with pulleys. I have delt with this on BBF blowers... Actually breaking the snout completely off the crank.

I guess we will see how well the crank is made for sure. And what psi is this thing looking like its going to make? Just a guesstimation would be fine.

I have been playing in SolidWorks building the new intake manifold. Since the procharger is a 4" pipe, I'm building a complete new full race manifold with a 4" inlet instead of the little 3" in the stock manifold. Alternator will be mounted in the secondary alt spot. Going to experiment with different plenum sizes. With tube runners of different lengths (remember the tuned port corvette intakes). The other manifold design I have completed will be tested along side of the Full Race version. I want to have multiple choices to meet the needs of different customers.

When is someone going to compound a Kenne Bell 2.8H and a large 88 or 90mm turbo...... :)

That would be a great setup with no lag......

Too bad the heads flow like mud......

that's my point... just because a compressor will flow a ton of air, doesn't mean the engine will accept it. that monster's gonna need 350cfm intake port flow at only 5000rpm

now, if they're talking about feeding a turbo with it, ok, I can see that, but all the discusion about turbos robbing power from drive pressure and being able to tune headers and cam to scavenge the exhaust out of the engine flies out the window if that's the case

Back