188/220 "drop in" cam

That will make fly cutting them easy!
Bust out the dremel lol
I would be interested to see if the cam was installed on a 99 intake centerline. I have seen stock cams have piston to valve issues when not installed correctly. I guess what I am saying is any cam will do that if it is installed on the wrong intake centerline. I have given customers the tools to verify clearances, but I think something is being lost in translation. Would it help if I posted a video on how to degree a cam?

What do I need to do to make it easier for customers and diesel shops to install this easier. I have smaller duration cams that will fit much easier but they do give up a lot. If you want all of the power and spool that you can get there is a few extra steps that need to be taken. And in most instances, it is on a 99 intake centerline and it is a drop in cam, but I can't promise that the engine was perfect from the factory. Our cams follow TIGHT tolerances, in other words they are ground on the money, but as more used trucks are hopped up, people think that the head has never been off or the block has never been decked when there might have been head surfacing and a decked block and an engine rebuilt out of a pile of parts with cam gears varying a good bit. Just because they did not ever mess with the engine doesn't mean that it has never been machined at some point. That combined with the fact that many people don't know how to use measuring equipment and my cam is at fault. From now on if I see pictures of piston to valve contact, It would be helpful if you also listed piston protrusion, valve face depth, head gasket thickness and intake centerline. If all the numbers fall in line, then you can cuss me, if not then the installer is at fault. If anybody ever has any questions about installation, call, email, text, PM me. I want to do everything I can to make sure this does not happen. So what do you need? A video?

Don't mind me Zach, I don't have enough insight to even think of helping here, I'm just an everyday smart@$$ that seen an opening to make a comment.

I would be interested to see if the cam was installed on a 99 intake centerline. I have seen stock cams have piston to valve issues when not installed correctly. I guess what I am saying is any cam will do that if it is installed on the wrong intake centerline. I have given customers the tools to verify clearances, but I think something is being lost in translation. Would it help if I posted a video on how to degree a cam?

What do I need to do to make it easier for customers and diesel shops to install this easier. I have smaller duration cams that will fit much easier but they do give up a lot. If you want all of the power and spool that you can get there is a few extra steps that need to be taken. And in most instances, it is on a 99 intake centerline and it is a drop in cam, but I can't promise that the engine was perfect from the factory. Our cams follow TIGHT tolerances, in other words they are ground on the money, but as more used trucks are hopped up, people think that the head has never been off or the block has never been decked when there might have been head surfacing and a decked block and an engine rebuilt out of a pile of parts with cam gears varying a good bit. Just because they did not ever mess with the engine doesn't mean that it has never been machined at some point. That combined with the fact that many people don't know how to use measuring equipment and my cam is at fault. From now on if I see pictures of piston to valve contact, It would be helpful if you also listed piston protrusion, valve face depth, head gasket thickness and intake centerline. If all the numbers fall in line, then you can cuss me, if not then the installer is at fault. If anybody ever has any questions about installation, call, email, text, PM me. I want to do everything I can to make sure this does not happen. So what do you need? A video?

Start doing camshaft install classes all over the country, just like efi live.

What do I need to do to make it easier for customers and diesel shops to install this easier?

Unfortunately, Zach, the performance world of sports cars doesn't get the bulk of the stupid redneck population....the diesel performance world does. Even if you do everything in your power....some John Doe is gonna throw a huge cam in his truck in a lean-to shed during an rain storm in Kentucky in-between shine batches and then blast you online because it didn't work.

Boils down to "have a reputable shop do your internal work" unless you take the time to learn how to do it correctly.

Unfortunately, Zach, the performance world of sports cars doesn't get the bulk of the stupid redneck population....the diesel performance world does. Even if you do everything in your power....some John Doe is gonna throw a huge cam in his truck in a lean-to shed during an rain storm in Oklahoma in-between shine batches and then blast you online because it didn't work.

Boils down to "have a reputable shop do your internal work" unless you take the time to learn how to do it correctly.

Fixed it for you!

Fixed it for you!

Thanks, Dano. LOL Insert state "here". Just trying to give an example.

It is truely sad that I know of some companies with great products that will not get into the automotive markets for reasons like "warranty" and "tech support". It floors me that everytime some has trouble they expect the manufacturer to fix it, pay for it, etc when there are 350+ (also an insert random # here) of them on the road in other trucks with no issues. It was obviously installed wrong, tweaked wrong, clocked wrong, just plain wrong. Now it is someone elses fault. This seems to be a growing trend across the deezul scene. Makes me ill. :Throwup:

I Have done classes across the midwest last winter. I need to do one in Florida and am willing to put them on in other parts of the country. I will have some time in November and December.

Anybody have an Idea where I could do one the week of Sema in Vegas, Florida the week of PRI, Midwest the week before thanksgiving and Wyoming in January? Maybe I can get I will also start working on a video section on my website.

Zach, you should offer your services to install the cam for each customer for an extra fee, plus travel, plus a 5 star hotel room, steak dinners every night, and a case of beer for each day you are there. At least then it'll be done correctly and if something does go wrong they can legitimately blame it on you and you would at least have gotten a decent vacation and meals for your hassle.

Last edited:
Not too long ago, I installed a couple of spiny-things, some big squirters and a lot of bent-up fat pipe along with one of his earlier cams along the way. Ultimately busted all three stock/OEM transmission shafts doing 20+ psig launches at one time or another. POS cam!

I've since installed one of these 188/200 cams. That one image above has made my mind for me. My crap's gonna 'splode!

POS Cam!
drinking_zps076bac48.gif

the only fool-proof method to eliminate the dumbass issues....

install them yourself, or have someone you trust do it (Mr Hamilton)

Anybody have an Idea where I could do one the week of Sema in Vegas, Florida the week of PRI, Midwest the week before thanksgiving and Wyoming in January? Maybe I can get I will also start working on a video section on my website.

I'd volunteer If my garage wasn't so small, I have a 188/208 ready to install.

Back