188/220 "drop in" cam

Im not talking ****! Ive built enough engines in my life to know when something is wrong. I dont need a salesman to tell me im doing something wrong or I phucked up when in fact its cam that is wrong. I asked a question if anybody else has seen this problems. If you dont like it you can go nut swing some were else.

So you know everything, the cam company knows nothing, and anyone who asks you a question, is a nut swinger, does that about sum it up

It's odd that this is being called a drop in cam. I bought mine early last year and was told to check it closely because it was a tight fit. I opted from the beginning to just put some .035 reliefs in to be safe. I hope to have the piston to valve numbers tomorrow.

I was told the same thing. I checked, and it fits fine with my set up.

I have never heard anyone from Hamilton Cams claim the 188/220 as a drop in cam. It clearly states in the description and have heard it numerous times it has to be checked. I call BS on anyone at Hamilton calling it a drop in.

Guess I will just keep swingin......

So you know everything, the cam company knows nothing, and anyone who asks you a question, is a nut swinger, does that about sum it up

I didn't see anywhere that disturbed said that or insinuated that. He is simply looking for information about how the 188/220 cam has fit for others. I have never used this cam and unless I'm mistaken Zach told me it should fit without cut pistons. I had inquired about it back when it was released, just never pulled the trigger on a cam bacause funds have been tight.

Last edited:
I didn't see anywhere that disturbed said that or insinuated that. He is simply looking for information about how the 188/220 cam has fit for others. I have never used this cam and unless I'm mistaken Zach told me it should fit without cut pistons. I had inquired about it quite back when it was released, just never pulled the trigger on a cam bacause funds have been tight.

Lee, don't you know? Your not allowed to question the all mighty Zach Master!

Lee, don't you know? Your not allowed to question the all mighty Zach Master!

That's not the issue. Question Zach all you want. Let's get some info going in here to help people. I'm all for that. But when a few certain people that obviously hate Zach for whatever reason ask for help in a "public service" thread they say no we just want our money back. The heads not even on the motor so how can you accurately measure ptv contact? If their attitude had not been laid out in other threads then this one might have been a good one. They have their opinion and I respect that but I think this thread was started as a nut kickin.

I bought Zachs 220/240 cam but the machine shop checked all of mine not me so I don't have any info to give. I have another buddy who bought Zachs 232/252 cam and was told to cut .200 valve reliefs and his machine shop says the to mUch. They reccomend .150 cuts. I would think that would be puting the ptv extremely close. But what do I know

Bring on the info as I'm curious myself. Also is it only close on the 12v setup? What about a 24v with the smaller rocker ratio?

Last edited:
To answer your question about the head. I used 2 dumby springs and the stock crushed gasket off the engine when I took it apart. Head was torqued and ptv was checked using a dial indicator over the valve end of the rocker.

188/220 was fine in my 06, I was also told it should be a drop in, but clearences had to be checked

Right but does anybody have any actual numbers

Thats the point... The only numbers that mean anything are the ones on the engine being built. Not mine, not yours not Joe blows. It is not a "drop in" cam so everyone else numbers don't mean crap. :doh:

188/220 was fine in my 06, I was also told it should be a drop in, but clearences had to be checked

So this is the main question, I'm assuming you bought this because you wanted results but did not want to cut your pistons. What happens when clearance is checked and is far to close? After all most are buying this cam because they don't want to cut pistons.

My problem with the statement of "It's a Drop In but, clearance needs to be checked" is it far to vague. Playing both sides of the fence if you will.

Bingo. So we have established 24v are fine, 12v might not work. So far we have one that won't work and a couple that do. I'm just trying to get the facts and info cause that's what this thread is about is info right

Disturbed, I talked to your customer, he will be running the cam. I sent him an offset key to put the intake on about a 100 centerline which will give him plenty of clearance.

I will be retarding the intakes on the 188-220 2 degrees from now on. On the rest that we have in stock, I will be retarding the entire cam 1.65 degrees to allow more intake valve to piston clearance. They will have slightly less bottom end performance, but they will clear just fine and truly be a "drop in" per your requirements.

Short of a vendetta, I don't understand your reasoning in handling this situation the way you did, I hope you got all of the jabs in that you were hoping for. Is there anything else you would like to cuss me for while you have this platform to do so? Please feel free to trash me all you want and get it out of your system. If you cuss me online or just call me and handle this like adults, I will still handle the situation in the same way.

Last edited:
If you look back through the post RonA added reliefs for security and the other had to run a .020 gasket and the third had to open the lash up and it was still tight

So here are the clearances in every degree

In:
degree clearance
0 .037
1 .033
2 .030
3 .026
4 .024
5 .021
6 .020
7 .022
8 .023
9 .025
10 .026

Last edited:
I was hoping to have info today but it will be a couple more days now. I want to go ahead and get an assortment of offset keys but Hamilton is out of them at the moment. I thought Cummins had them but i got the 1000yard ear when i called.

Here is the exh for comparrison

degree clearance
10 .045
9 .041
8 .038
7 .036
6 .034
5 .033
4 .032
3 .033
2 .035
1 .037
0 .040

.013" intake/ .022" exhaust should ge tyou where you want to be.

Thank you for posting the data

Back