Best Single for pulling?

wildmanben

Farmboy...
What do you guys think for a 12v? Upgrading turbos soon and still undecided. Thinking of a Silver Bullet maybe. Could one modify the housing on a S400 to fit and be able to spool?

wildmanben said:
What do you guys think for a 12v? Upgrading turbos soon and still undecided. Thinking of a Silver Bullet maybe. Could one modify the housing on a S400 to fit and be able to spool?

It would have to have a fairly small exhaust housing for an S400 to be any what streetable.

With the right mods to the turbo, with what you have you could spool and S400...mine doesnt light hard til about 2500 RPMS, but when it finally hits, hold on.

Just my $.02

Scott

The S400 needs loads of fuel. You also hafta make and adapter for exhaust housing to manifold mounting and the compressor outlet can be rigged its not an out of the box install but if you can weld and cut it saves money. You can buy them new for well under a grand.

Watson is running a 400 on his daily driver... It is possible with the right tuning.

wildmanben said:

I wouldnt buy a silverbullet unless the class mandated a 2.6 limit.
If you can go with a 2.8 charger go with some sort of GT42, K31 hybrid (like Aurora 5k), S400 etc.

Dont make the mistake of a small frame charger for sledpulling.

wildmanben said:

I run a 76mm/82mm s400 daily on my cr. It isnt a towing turbo by any means but very streetable for a big turbo and when its lit moves some serious air. Right now I have a housing that machine to bush it to 2.8. It lights at around 2500 so i would suggest you run some rpms out of the ole 12v. Thats the only thing killin me right now is the fact that I run out of rpms right when the turbo comes on real hard.

If you want some more info on it give me a shout, its a bolt on type deal the way we have it set up.

Smokem said:
Ben, your jumping off the clutch a little soon, spinning down and then hitting hard pack causing you to hop. A turbo may not be your best solution if you are having a hard time loading the QD 64 in 3rd low.

The association got a new sled this year so I am going to try 3rd again and see what happens.

So you think that I need to slip the clutch a little bit more and not spin so much out of the hole? I am just having a hard time thinking about that...

Also, am I going to need more fuel than I got to run a larger frame charger? More RPMS? Like a 5k kit?

Wheres a good place to find a K31 or a GT42R?

Last edited:
So is the Silver Bullet not good for sledpulling? I still gotta drive this truck to work so I dont want it to be not street friendly.

wildmanben said:
So is the Silver Bullet not good for sledpulling? I still gotta drive this truck to work so I dont want it to be not street friendly.

It would be ok but you have to remember if you stepped it up one more notch (turbo wise) your talking on average another 10 feet of distance with the sled.

Besides right now you can buy a K31 hybrid or ATS Aurora 5000 for $1400 to $1625 from PDI out of Utah. The SB is still $1800.
More turbo for less money.....

JW3 said:
It would be ok but you have to remember if you stepped it up one more notch (turbo wise) your talking on average another 10 feet of distance with the sled.

Besides right now you can buy a K31 hybrid or ATS Aurora 5000 for $1400 to $1625 from PDI out of Utah. The SB is still $1800.
More turbo for less money.....

One of the local guys from TN. is running a 12V puller is running the new ST70. He claims it lights off fast and makes quite a more power then his old GT4202 which was a 74mm unit.

supersmoke said:
One of the local guys from TN. is running a 12V puller is running the new ST70. He claims it lights off fast and makes quite a more power then his old GT4202 which was a 74mm unit.

Thats great info but some of us cant run 5000rpms.

so I have been talking and reading and come up with this. The K31 with a .80 a/r housing with T3 flange would be the best suited for my application. So now, wheres the best place to get one?

Back